The freshest, moistest, chewy yet crusty gluten-free bread you will ever taste!
Art of Slow Foods in Nova Scotia! Tell your friends!
Deliveries are made to the following retailers on Mondays, Wednesdays & Fridays:
• Finsbury Market (6516 Chebucto Rd, Halifax)
• Luminate Co. (486 Starboard Dr, Bedford)
• Neighbourhood Goods General Store (1946 Lower Water St, Halifax)
• The Warehouse Market (2867 Isleville St, Halifax)
• The Wild Leek (2156 Windsor St, Halifax)
The Art of Slow Food is a philosophy – old world traditions revived for a better lifestyle. Artisan gluten-free sourdough, wild fermented veggies, bone broth and a happy belly.
Owner, Kaitlin Chamberlin, uses local organic ingredients and traditional methods of food preparation to make unique, delicious creations that nourish your body. Using minimal equipment and prepping in small batches, they offer colorful and delicious food that is local, sustainable and accessible.
The Art of Slow Food caters to dietary limitations of all kinds, providing food that isn’t complicated or unpronounceable.
This is extra-special gluten free bread: fresh baked, rustic, soft, chewy and easily digestible sourdough! Using natural wild levain and a base of psyllium husk, flax and water, the dough is fermented for 12-18 hours to allow phytic acid breakdown and real flavor development. The bread is then baked on a stone to create rustic loaves with appealing crust.
The Art of Slow Food does not use common gluten-free ingredients such as xanthan gum, agar agar, potato starch, rice flour or other high-starch ingredients. The bread is made with only 7 simple, organic ingredients, in order of predominance: Spring water, psyllium husk, ground flax, sorghum flour, tapioca flour, natural levain (wild yeast) and sea salt.
As a result of slow fermentation, the carbohydrates and starches in the bread are broken down, creating a light, soft digestible bread. The psyllium husk and ground flax act as a digestive aid and provide a soft, chewy texture without gluten or added starches.
Sourdough selection includes Toasted Sesame, Plain, Kalamata Olive, Rosemary Poppyseed and on occasion, Cranberry Walnut!
Their sauerkraut is made the traditional way – fermented for a minimum of 3 weeks in traditional German crocks and never pasteurized. Enjoy a number of varieties that are versatile and go well with any meal – sandwiches, salads, stir fries, soups, eggs or sausages. Sauerkraut is a highly probiotic food, and is best used to accompany meals to aid in digestion.
Sauerkraut selection includes Dilly Kraut, Cortido Kraut and Chimichurri Kraut.
About the Baker / Fermentor / Creator
Kaitlin is a whole foods chef and baker and has been fermenting for 7 years. She works exclusively with artisan-style traditional foods, using local and organic ingredients to create simple, accessible nourishment. She strives to teach sustainability and self-sufficiency through the art of slow food. Kaitlin has extensive experience working with dietary restrictions and nutritional deficiencies and will work with any specifications by request.
Where to Find Art of Slow Food
• Moss Street Market – Saturdays year round. 10am to 2pm May through October. 10am to 1pm November through April. Learn more here.
• Sidney Street Market – Thursday evenings, 5:30 to 8:30, June-July-August. Learn more here.
• Seasonal Markets – Visit The Celiac Scene Events Page and stay tuned to social media announcements.
The Art of Slow Food delivers fresh loaves to the following Victoria retailers around noon every Fridays. Call ahead to be sure. Hurry in – they go fast!
- Beauregard Cafe & Provisions (Brentwood Bay)
- Bunny’s Kitchen (Esquimalt)
- Community Farm Market (Duncan)
- Deep Cove Market (North Saanich)
- For Good Measure (Cadboro Bay & James Bay)
- Lifestyle Markets (Cook Street)
- Lifestyle Markets (Douglas Street)
- Lifestyle Markets (Sidney)
- Local General Store (Fernwood)
- Morning People Food Co. (Cook Street)
- Mount Doug Food Market (Gordon Head)
- Old Farm Market (Oak Bay & Duncan)
- Pepper’s Foods (Cadboro Bay)
- Pomme Natural Market (Nanaimo)
- Zero Waste Emporium (Victoria)
- Saturdays Year Round: Moss Street Market & Duncan’s Farmers’ Market
- Saturdays May 8 to October 9th – Gabriola Farmer’s Market
- Sundays – Sidney Farmer’s Market – May 9 to October 10th & Cedar Farmer’s Market – May 9 to October 31st
NEW! Art of Slow Food Wood-Fired Pizza Truck!
HOURS: Thursday – Sunday 12-6pm. Hours can vary. Call ahead to confirm.
ABOUT: 100% Gluten-Free in Vegan, Vegetarian x 2 & Carnivore
DELIVERY: Now available via Tutti!
PRE-ORDER by PHONE: 1-236-464-7650
Learn the ancient tradition of preserving foods and maximizing nutrition with simple tools and local foods. Bring your own jar and take home a ferment. Learn more here.