The Celiac Scene E-News | July 2016
Your source for fabulous gluten-free living in Victoria, Vancouver Island & the Gulf Islands.
Gluten-Free Canada Day Celebrations Starts Today!
Farmer’s Markets • Street Festivals • Shakefest • Food Trucks • Fireworks • Picnics • Parades • Brunch • Tastings! No matter where you go – there will be gluten-free food to enjoy!
- Royal Nuts – Match Made in Gluten-Free Heaven! – Have you ever used the ‘peanut allergy’ analogy to explain your need to be gluten free?
- Bob’s Red Mill Launches Paleo Baking Flour Mix – A unique blend of nut flours and root starches, combined in the perfect proportions for easy grain-free baking and cooking.
- Let’s Eat Guilt Free – Grand Re-Opening in Nanaimo – celebrating a successful renovation and the birth of a whole new line of gluten-free products!
- Restaurante La Tortilla – Gluten-Free Gem in Esquimalt – Elizabeth had me at mole: Only one dish, the mole sauce, has wheat in it, and it is prepared in a separate area.
- ‘Real Food Made Easy’ Now at The Village Restaurants – It’s official – The Village restaurants now provide ‘Real Food Made Easy’ breads for all their gluten-free offerings.
Gluten-Free Foodies Dare to Dine
- Thai Lemongrass Restaurant, Victoria – Wednesday, July 13th at 6pm
- Restaurante La Tortilla, Esquimalt – Tuesday, July 26th at 6pm
- Canadian Celiac Association Update on Barley-Containing “Gluten-Free Beers” – The CCA does NOT consider beer made with gluten as safe for people with celiac disease, treated to remove the gluten or not.
- Could Celiac Disease be Affecting Your Sex Life? – ‘Partner Burden’ has been identified as having a negative impact on relationships with more than one-third of partners experiencing poorer …
- Pin-Prick Blood Test for Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity Arrives – Researchers present evidence that a pin-prick blood test performed in a doctor’s office is able to identify patients with non-celiac gluten sensitivity
- Is the Gluten-Free Diet Good for Rheumatoid Arthritis? – Although some rheumatoid arthritis patients believe that certain foods trigger their flare-ups, the evidence behind this is limited …
- Gluten-Free Living Classes – Crash course on transitioning to a gluten-free diet open to anyone wishing to address wheat and gluten allergies or sensitivities. Saturday, July 16th, September 17, 2016
- Celiac Parents and Parents of Celiacs A place for gluten-free families to care and share.
Celiac Scene Information Sessions
- July 9, Lifestyle Markets on Douglas 12-2 pm featuring SCREAMIN BROTHERS
- July 23rd, Lifestyle Markets on Douglas 12 – 2pm featuring CORN THINS
- Fast, Fresh Three Ingredient Cloud Bread – Eggs, cream cheese, and cream of tartar are all you need to create these versatile fluffy, soft breads.
- Lush Lemony Flourless Cookies with Vibrant Blueberry Frosting – Dense, chewy, and delightfully lemony. Made with just cashew butter, lemon and a bit of vanilla
- Turn Down the Heat with These No-Bake Treats from Thrifty Foods – 750+ and counting gluten-free menu ideas arranged into a convenient, searchable library.
- Gifts from the Sea by Okanaga Rawsome – There are many ways to prepare a 7-pound salmon, but we prefer our tried and true wood fire with a home-made grill …
Please – keep our Sponsors in mind when making your purchases. They support this resource with their advertising dollars.
• Abuelo’s Corn Tortillas • Bake My Day • Bard’s Beer • Benjamin’s Bites • Bitez Sandwich Bar • Cascadia Gluten-Free Foods • Cloud 9 Specialty Bakery • Corn Thins by Real Foods • Country Grocer • Deep Cove Market • Eat It Up • Giddy Yoyo • Glutenull • Gramma Dee’s • Grimm’s Fine Foods • Hertel Meats • La Nougaterie • Let’s Eat Guilt Free • Lifestyle Markets & Select Stores • Mother Nature’s • Noodle Box • Okanagan Rawsome • Olive Grove Restaurant • Pepper’s Foods • Pirate Chips • Planet Organic • Portofino Bakery • Rock Cod Cafe • Sante Gluten-Free Cafe • Screamin Brothers Dairy-Free Frozen Treats • Six Mile Pub • Stella’s Perogies • Taco Revolution Food Truck • The Joint Pizzeria • The Market Stores • The Uncommon Carrot • Thrifty Foods • TOTAL PREPARE • Union Street Grill & Grotto • Wendels True Foods • Wild Poppy Bakery & Bistro
Gluten-Free Fast Food – A Guide, Not a Guarantee