Visit Country Grocer Fall Magazine for a pot pourri of Halloween Suggestions!
Halloween can be a fun and exciting holiday but families raising children with food allergies need to take extra precautions in order to keep their children safe – and happy. Country Grocer is committed to supporting everyone in celebrating the season at home, at school and in the community! See page 23 of Country Grocer Magazine.
Focus on Fun
- check out library books / movies that celebrate the history and fun of Hallowe’en
- visit a ‘Pumpkin Patch,’ carve out and decorate a pumpkin, create a craft, design and make a costume
- host a party at home with craft-making, spooky music and food that is safe to eat
Plan a Positive Experience
- pre-purchase safe Hallowe’en candy to replace unsuitable treats
- talk to your child’s teacher about making celebrations safe and inclusive
- send ‘safe’ candy along with your child to enjoy during festivities
- Trick-or-Treat with safe candy in hand
- let your child know that they cannot eat any treats without you checking the label and approving it first
- remind your child of the plan – the more days you talk about what’s going to happen, the better
After the House to House
- together with your child, go through their candy and remove items without allergen disclosures
- trade unsafe treats for safe treats, money or small toys
- send safe candies to school with your child for the days following Hallowe’en so they are not tempted by goodies that other children bring
- stage a Hallowe’en exchange with other families – with adult supervision.
- give unsuitable candy to charity
- too much candy? Wrap and freeze to use at parties, for ice cream ‘blizzards’ or to fill summertime piñatas
Visit your local Country Grocer for their selection of allergen-friendly Halloween candy!
Country Grocer is a family-owned and operated grocery chain with 7 stores in Victoria, Cobble Hill, Salt Spring Island, Lake Cowichan and Nanaimo. Look for gluten-free shelf labels throughout their stores to guide you to exceptional products, amazing pricing and in-store manager specials! Ask for your copy of the Gluten-Free Shopping Guide at Customer Service.
Get the Scoop on Gluten-Free Sales
This Week’s Specials
What’s on sale in the Nutrition!
Country Grocer’s Got an App
Chef Michael’s Gluten-Free Recipes
Follow Country Grocer’s Pinterest Page
Find a Country Grocer near you!
NEW! Country Grocer is pleased to announce the launch of their ‘Country Nutrition Aisle‘ at all 7 locations! Knowledgeable staff are available from 9:30 to 6:00, seven days per week to offer information about vitamins, minerals, proteins, greens and healthy snacks. Nutritionists at specific locations can provide dietary advice and tips on heart health. Contact Ahrina Kay Nielsen, Nutrition Category Manager for details. 250-753-7545 email@example.com