1021 Richter St
Kelowna, BC V1Y 2K4
Celiac and Registered Dietitian, Selena De Vries, has been there and done it! Learn how easy it is to travel – and have a great time! Leave empowered with information on how to be gluten-free, no matter where you are!
No diagnosis required – just a need or desire to be gluten-free!
Hosted by the Kelowna Chapter of the Canadian Celiac Association. Celiac volunteers serve the entire southern interior of British Columbia, Canada including Shuswap, Okanagan, and Kootenays. Wellness Meetings are held in January, February, March, April, May, October and November. Join the Kelowna CCA Facebook Group.
About Selena De Vries
My diagnosis inspired me to become a Registered Dietitian who specializes in supporting celiacs. I am here to help!
GET the CHECKLIST that makes it easier for friends and family to safely, cook for you!
Living in the Okanagan or anywhere in British Columbia?
- Contact Selena for in-person or on-line support
- HealthBean.ca • Facebook • Twitter • Instagram • Pinterest • Videos • Blog •
- [email protected] • 1-778-990-6047
- “I contacted Selena when I still wasn’t feeling well a year after my celiac diagnosis. I’d read so much on the Internet I thought I knew everything I needed to know. I was wrong.
- Selena has important advice on how to do GF properly (it’s not as straightforward as I thought) and for regaining your health. She is organized, punctual, and professional. And she has celiac disease herself , so she gets it.
- I think a lot of us, by the time we’re diagnosed, have had more than our share of health care practitioners and may not want to bother with a dietitian.
- Selena played a crucial role in my recovery, and I would highly recommend her, whether you’re newly diagnosed or just trying to feel better.”
- ~ Charlene (long-distance celiac disease client)
Selena offers online support to residents across British Columbia, Canada
- This package is for you if you are newly diagnosed with celiac disease, you have celiac disease and continue to struggle with symptoms on the gluten free diet, or you have non-celiac gluten sensitivity. Learn more …
- This package is for you if you have irritable bowel syndrome, you have inflammatory bowel disease (crohn’s disease, colitis), or are experiencing digestive symptoms (constipation, diarrhea, intestinal cramping etc). Learn more …
- If you have celiac disease, please see the Celiac Disease Total Care Package
DIRECT BILLING: For those with extended health coverage, Selena handles the paperwork with your provider while you get on with getting healthy. No doctor’s referral needed. No wait time. Simply scroll down to the Policy Holder Information section of the appointment form.
Selena offers in-person support to individuals or groups throughout the Okanagan in British Columbia
- This package is for you if you are newly diagnosed with celiac disease or non-celiac gluten sensitivity or if you have celiac disease but are still struggling with symptoms. Learn more …
- HEALTHBEAN NUTRITION specializes in digestive health. We deliver easy to digest, bite-size pieces of information so our clients can, finally, achieve the healthy & happy digestive system they’ve been striving for. Learn more ...
- HEALTHBEAN PHILOSOPHY– Selena employs elimination diets and/or a specific diets in accordance with her clients’ conditions, and only when deemed necessary. She reserves advice about the gluten-free diet for those who require it – not those choosing to follow the diet as a lifestyle choice. Expect clear, concise instructions on the appropriate diet for you and, maybe even some myth busting! Learn more …
Selena knows first-hand how her undiagnosed celiac disease affected her physical and emotional health. After telling her that, “Well, you have celiac disease,” her MD suggested she, “google the diet,” and out the door she went. Sound familiar?
That’s why Selena established Healthbean Nutrition. She is dedicating her education, personal insights and her own recovery to helping her fellow celiacs make this enormous lifestyle transition – and find joy in eating again! Learn more …
Selena’s Road to Diagnosis
- “When I was going through university, I was exhausted, ALL the time. I had to drag myself out to hang out with friends, and if I had it my way I would have spent most days in bed sleeping. It was not unknown for me to sleep 12-16 hours a day. Call me crazy, but I related it all to the busy-ness of school. I was even checked for anemia at one point (common with celiacs) and I was ‘fine.’
- The symptoms continued through school and the brain fog was undeniable. I distinctly remember during my dietetic internship (like a medical residency except everything is nutrition based) at Kelowna General Hospital sitting in the office, charting on a patient and, literally, feeling like my brain was so fuzzy that I could barely keep my eyes from nodding off. It was awful.
- Another thing I didn’t pay much attention to, was bowels. I was always constipated. Never the other way around. Never. And, I also remember mentioning this to my gastroenterologist just before the endoscopy and he said ‘oh, well with your very low antibody levels and constipation, there is a very low chance that you are actually celiac but we will proceed with the endoscopy since you’re prepped and ready to go.’
- The piece of paper I received after the endoscopy said to follow up with my GP. I did follow up with my GP and the report came back positive for celiac disease. My GP said “well, you’re celiac. But, you’re a dietitian, right, so this should be easy for you!”
- Perhaps I had a leg up in the nutrition part of it, but I think we all know that the gluten free diet is not a walk in the park. And, although, I am so appreciative of the medical care I received, it did open my eyes to the lack of knowledge within the medical community when it came to celiac disease and the lack of support offered to individuals with celiac disease.
That’s how Healthbean Nutrition was born!
- *Information and perspectives posted on The Celiac Scene are intended to provide general information, without independent verification on the part of The Celiac Scene for the accuracy of the information provided to it. The information is specifically not intended to be a substitute for medical diagnosis or treatment by your physician or other health care professional. Always consult your own physician or other health care professionals about any medical questions, diagnosis, or treatment, especially before trying any diet. Healthbean Nutrition does not accept any liability for any injury, loss or damage incurred by use of or reliance on any content contained herein.