Afke Zonderland, Co-Founder of Okanagan Rawsome reflects upon her rural childhood and how that has informed the way that she has lived her life. From the food she grows for her children and grandchildren to the products that she shares with us, Afke’s meditations offer us a unique insight into how to live a life of integrity and good health.
A sore throat and swollen tonsils once or twice gave me a day home from school. Swollen tonsils more than once a year every year gave me a trip to the hospital for prompt removal of the offending glands. I can still hear the snip of the surgeon’s scissors! Talk about trauma.
I was placed in a chair and without much fanfare, coddling or explanation had an ether mask placed over my face. There must have been a comforting word or two spoken by the attending nurse but perhaps I was too scared to hear a word.
All I do remember was that I woke up before the operation was completed and I witnessed a little red tonsil dropping in the kidney tray under my chin. Post operative care consisted of a three day stay in the hospital and painful swallowing of jello, apple sauce and yoghurt.
To top it all off, the children’s ward in the hospital allowed parents to visit for one hour and even then, only on Wednesday and Saturday afternoons.
The removal of tonsils is quite rare nowadays. Tonsils and adenoids function as part of our glandular lymph system as gate keepers. It is thought that they help form antibodies to germs as part of the body’s immune system.
Here are some of the best home-brew remedies for sore throats:
- Gargling with salt water or rinsing with the aid of a neti pot.
- A mix of lime juice, honey and salt for pain relief
- Fenugreek seeds. Boiled for half an hour. Strain and gargle with the tea when cooled.
- Oil pulling; A teaspoon of coconut oil with one drop of oil of oregano. Swish around your mouth for 10 minutes. Discard and brush teeth. Great for your teeth and gums too!
Enter ‘Afke’ into the search field at the top right of this page to view her other articles.
100% Non-GMO • Soaked & Sprouted Seeds • Dehydrated at Low Temperatures • No Refined Sugars • Low-Glycemic •
Okanagan Rawsome’s mission is to awaken your taste buds with delicious raw, sprouted, gluten-free, vegan crisps – now in five fabulous flavours. Made from 100% local vegetables and 99% organic ingredients, their crisps are a source of pure plant energy that nourishes your body – and soul!
- Find Okanagan Rawsome at retailers in Victoria and across Vancouver Island!
- Purchase Okanagan Rawsome online and save! Free shipping within Canada for orders over $80. Free Shipping in the US for orders over $160.
- Packed with local organic beets, carrots and onions combined with sprouted seeds and a yummy blend of spices.
- INGREDIENTS: *ground flaxseeds, *carrots, *sprouted buckwheat, *sprouted sunflower seeds, *beets *zucchini, *sprouted lentils, *onions, onion powder, oregano, garlic powder, *sea salt, cumin (*organic)
- Onion-Herb Beet Crisps are delicious with your favourite cheese, hummus, or pesto. Make an open-faced sandwich using a Beet Crisp as a base.
- Spicy Chia-Hemp CARROT CRISPS are spicy snacks made with locally grown carrots & zucchini, chia, hemp, and sprouted lentils to enhance nutrient bioavailability. The carrots provide a high-source of Vitamin A.
- INGREDIENTS: *carrots, *ground flax seeds, *sprouted buckwheat, *zucchini, *sprouted lentils, hemp hearts, *chia seeds, *sea salt, cumin, cayenne, onion powder, oregano, garlic powder (*organic)
- Chia-Hemp Carrot Crisps are delicious with your favorite cheese, hummus, and/or a slice of avocado. Make an open faced sandwich using a Carrot Crisp as a base.
- Flax Sesame APPLE CRISPS light, flavour-packed zesty treat made with oranges and lemons. We grind whole flax seeds to preserve valuable Omega-3 fats. Dehydration happens at low temperatures, protecting valuable living enzymes.
- INGREDIENTS: *apples, *coconut, *ground flax seeds, *sesame seeds, *dates, hemp hearts, *oranges, *lemon juice, cinnamon, ground ginger, *sea salt (*organic)
- Delicious with a seed or nut butter. Visit the recipe section of our website for other suggested pairings and rawsome recipes.
- Choc-Ginger Apple Crisps are delicious on their own or with a serving of ice cream made with frozen bananas & vegan chocolate pudding.
- INGREDIENTS: *apples, *sprouted buckwheat, *ground flax, *dates, *sprouted sunflower seeds, *sprouted pumpkin seeds, ginger slices, dark chocolate (cocao, sugar, non-GMO soya lecithin, vanilla flavour), *coconut, ground ginger, *lemon juice, cinnamon, *sea salt (*organic)
- Chocolate Ginger APPLE CRISPS offer dark chocolate-coconut decadence in a delicious mixture of organic Okanagan apples, ginger, sprouted seeds, sprouted buckwheat, and dates.
- Available in convenient single-sized portions.
- Cran-Raisin APPLE CRISPS combine sprouted buckwheat with delicious organic cranberries, raisins, and organic Okanagan apples to create a naturally sweet and filling snack.
- INGREDIENTS: *apples, *sprouted buckwheat, *ground flax, *dates, *sprouted sunflower seeds, *sprouted pumpkin seeds, *raisins, *cranberries, cinnamon, ground ginger, *orange zest, *sea salt (*organic)
- Crumble a few pieces of Cran-Raisin Apple Crisps onto plain yogurt or sprinkle some on top of your morning cereal to add live enzymes and easy to digest protein to kick start your day.
- Available in convenient single-sized portions.
Okanagan Rawsome is a proud Sponsor of the Canadian Celiac Association’s Classes for the Newly Diagnosed. Details here!
Find Okanagan Rawsome at retailers in Victoria and across Vancouver Island!
Purchase Okanagan Rawsome online and save! Free shipping within Canada for orders over $80. Free Shipping in the US for orders over $160.
- *Information and perspectives are intended to provide general information, without independent verification on the part of The Celiac Scene for the accuracy of the information provided to it. The information is specifically not intended to be a substitute for medical diagnosis or treatment by your physician or other health care professional. You should always consult your own physician or other health care professionals about any medical questions, diagnosis, or treatment, especially before trying any diet. The Celiac Scene™, Okanagan Rawsome and Afke Zonderland does not accept any liability for any injury, loss or damage incurred by use of or reliance on any content contained herein.