DOSA – a cooked flat thin layered rice batter, somewhat similar to a crepe.
PARAGON – a person or thing regarded as a perfect example of a particular quality.
• 735 Yates Street – tucked inside St. Andrew’s Square Building – across from Cineplex Odeon.
• dosaparagon.ca • Facebook • Instagram • Contact • 778.440.2206
• Hours: Tues-Wed-Thurs 11-8:30 • Fri-Sat 11-9 • Sun11-8 • Closed Mon
Thursday Special – Vegetable Biriyani
- A bold and flavorful Indian rice dish with bell peppers, peas, carrots and potatoes in a spiced rice dish made with turmeric, garam masala and other warm spices.
Friday-Saturday-Sunday Special – Chicken Biriyani
- a delicious savory rice dish that is loaded with spicy marinated chicken, caramelized onions, and flavorful saffron rice.
About South Indian Cuisine
- DOSA – a crispy savoury rice crepe cooked flat thin layered, made from fermented rice and lentil batter, then filled.
- UTHAPPAM – thick pancake made from rice and lentil batter, with different toppings.
- PAPADUM – a thin crisp disk shaped lentil wafers, made from seasoned black gram flour, either fried or grilled with dry heat.
- VADA – a savoury fried snack from India. It is made from lentils.
- IDLY – a savoury, steamed rice cake very popular in Southern India and Sri Lanka , from Indian subcontinent. IDLY are made by Steaming a batter consisting of fermented black lentils and rice. Learn more about this super food here.
- SAMBAR – lentils and Vegetables cooked with tamarind and blend of spices.
- INDIAN PICKLE- known as Achar, made from a variety of vegetables & fruits, preserved in brine, vinegar, edible oils and a blend of various Indian spices.
- Click here to view the complete menu.
Victoria Buzz Review by Brishti Basu 1
- On July 8th, Prashant “Bob” Unnikrishnan and his wife Lathika quietly opened the doors to Dosa Paragon, a south Indian restaurant that is one of its kind in Victoria, and perhaps all of Vancouver Island. Unlike other East Indian eateries in town, this restaurant specializes in cuisine local to the south Indian state of Kerala and everything on the menu is made from scratch by the husband-and-wife duo. Bob, who has lived in Victoria for the past 6 years, brings his dishes straight from India after having worked in major cities like Mumbai, Chennai and Bangalore. Before opening Dosa Paragon, he worked as a chef at several restaurants around town including Irish Times Pub, John’s Place, and Varsha Indian Kitchen.
- Some of their highlights include the Masala Dosa (a rice crepe stuffed with spiced potato), their Onion and Cilantro Uthappam (a savoury pancake topped with onion and cilantro), and for meat eaters, an aromatic and flavourful Chicken Biryani (a spiced rice and chicken dish). Of course, no Indian meal is complete without a drink to go with it.
- Those who prefer a cooler beverage may choose the thick, sweet concoction that is their mango smoothie. For those partial to hot drinks, the restaurant offers an authentic ‘masala chai’ or tea flavoured with a mix of spices and herbs.
- While Bob and his wife have done practically nothing to advertise their new restaurant, the small eatery always has a steady stream of customers to keep them busy – a testament to the nearly addictive flavours and aromas emanating from Dosa Paragon. They have been so busy, in fact, that the owners have had to extend their business hours up to 9 p.m. to keep up with the demand.
- “That’s our motivation,” said Bob when asked about how customers have been responding to his restaurant. “We just want to maintain that momentum as our main goal is customer satisfaction.”
- 1 https://www.victoriabuzz.com/2019/08/victorias-first-south-indian-restaurant-is-now-open-on-yates-street
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.
Gluten Free Restaurants and Stores
- Celiac Disease Research – The Good News ContinuesJanuary 24, 2020 - 2:08 pm
- 3 Reasons You May Feel Tired on the Gluten-Free Diet by Selena De Vries, RDJanuary 22, 2020 - 1:09 pm
- The Mystery & Magic of Gluten-Free Flours on ‘A Canadian Celiac Podcast’January 22, 2020 - 11:12 am
- 2020 Vancouver Island Gluten-Free Fish, Chips & Onion Rings List!January 22, 2020 - 6:35 am
- Kids with Celiac Disease Report Lower Health-Related Quality of LifeJanuary 20, 2020 - 1:25 pm
all-day 10% Senior Discount – Tuesdays &... @ Pepper's Foods
10% Senior Discount – Tuesdays &... @ Pepper's Foods
Jan 28 all-day
Seniors enjoy 10% off – Tuesdays & Wednesdays Some restrictions apply. No discount on sale items. A bustling market at 3829 Cadboro Bay Road, steps away from the University of Victoria and one of the[...]
all-day 10% Student Discount Every Day @ Pepper's Foods
10% Student Discount Every Day @ Pepper's Foods
Jan 28 all-day
University & College Students – enjoy 10% off EVERY DAY with provision of student ID card. Some restrictions apply. No discount on sale items. A bustling market at 3829 Cadboro Bay Road, steps away from[...]
all-day 7% Student & Senior Discount @ Mother Nature's Market & Deli
7% Student & Senior Discount @ Mother Nature's Market & Deli
Jan 28 all-day
Tuesdays are Senior and Student Day at Mother Nature’s! Receive a discount of 7%! Be Healthy, Go Natural! It makes a difference! Natural Foods, Organic Produce and Local Products. Mother Nature’s Market and Deli is committed[...]
all-day Daily Gluten-Free Specials @ Union Street Grill & Grotto
Daily Gluten-Free Specials @ Union Street Grill & Grotto
Jan 28 all-day
Anyone tuned into Vancouver Island’s gluten-free dining scene has heard the call of Union Street Grill & Grotto’s amazing celiac-friendly menu – with its extensive selection of gluten-free appetizers, entrees and desserts. Check out their daily gluten-free[...]
all-day Daily Gluten-Free Specials @ Wild Poppy Bakery & Bistro
Daily Gluten-Free Specials @ Wild Poppy Bakery & Bistro
Jan 28 all-day
A must-visit destination for anyone who loves fabulous baking – full stop! (Closed Sundays, Mondays & Stat Holidays) Wild Poppy serves savoury breakfasts and light lunches with soup, baguettes and everything you could ask for[...]