Place Category: Featured Restaurant
British Columbia’s ONLY Colombian Restaurant is located right here in Victoria! 749 View St between Blanshard & Douglas.
- Colombian food is NOT spicy!
- (unless you sauce things up yourself!)
Let your server know that you require a gluten-free, dairy-free or vegetarian meal and extra-special precautions will be taken to meet your needs – hands washed, work area cleared and sanitized, careful application of sauces.
• Homestyle offerings are hand-made with the freshest local ingredients.
• Most meals less than $10.
• Papas criolla/amarilla imported directly from Colombia.
• So authentic, Colombian tourists beat a trail to this very special restaurant.
• Soups when available – always gluten free.
MON – THURS Noon – 7 PM • FRI Noon – Midnight • SAT 2PM – 3AM • 250-381-2233
La Fogata Latina Testimonials
- “Laid back atmosphere, surprised that by the time I’ve turned around a beach hasn’t arrived. Love the food, real ingredients, nothing tastes store bought. Authentic and fantastic!”
- “I am so happy my husband stumbled across this place. We have been going back ever since. Its small but the food is top notch every. single. time. The staff is friendly and welcoming …”
- “Arepas are fantastic!!! We dropped in for a snack and ended up going back later for more food.”
- “Dining at La Fogata Latina on a rainy day like yesterday was like taking a tropical holiday in Latin America! So neat to be able to try deep-fried cassava, plantains or a tall smoothie of tropical juice made from Guanábana – a combination of strawberry & pineapple, sour citrus notes, creamy coconut-banana finish. That and a steady stream of Spanish-speaking customers made us wonder – were we really still in Victoria?! Owners Ernesto and Samy were keen to explain the ingredients – and the background of each gluten-free dish, how they were made and what was in the delicate sauces that came with them. Ask for the ‘pink’ sauce – delicious! Each dish was made from scratch, served hot and hand delivered to us with a smile! I think we tried every GF dish they offer – GF beef empanadas, chicken and beef arepas, deep-fried plantains & cassava with garlic-parsley sauce, pappas criolla (melt in your mouth nugget potatoes from Colombia) and my personal fave – grilled corn mazorca! Next time, I am going straight for the Colombian Poutine and a Plantain Sandwich! Thank you, Ernesto & Samy for introducing Victoria, BC to Colombia!”
CORN FLOUR AREPAS
- Arepa (Spanish pronunciation: [aˈɾepa]) is a type of food made from ground maize dough
- Prominent in the cuisine of Venezuela and Colombia.
- Topped with choice of Chicken, Beef, Pork, Vegetarian or Cheese
Dedicated Gluten-Free Fryer
- Cassava is tuberous starchy root, high in carbohydrates.
- Also called manioc, yucca …
- served with ‘Pico de Gallo’ sauce – fresh tomato, onion and jalapeno
Anuncio Patacon Con Todo
- Plantains are from the banana family, higher in starch – low in sugar
- enjoy them topped with your choice of Chicken, Beef or Pork
- Straight from Colombia!
- Celiac Scene Favourite!
- You guessed it!
- Deep-Fried plantain and your choice of sandwich filling!
Gluten-Free Empanadas with Beef
- An empanada is a stuffed bread or pastry that is baked or fried. The name comes from, Spanish verb empanar, meaning to wrap.
- La Fogata Latina prepares gluten-free, corn-flour empanadas ahead of time, individually wraps & refrigerates them.
Pupasas from El Salvador
- Dough made from corn meal
- Served with a refried bean spread
- Side of cole slaw/red chili.
Papas Criolla/Amarilla – Creamy Columbian Potatoes
- Small, thin-skinned yellow potato
- Much creamier than North American golden nugget potatoes
Grilled Corn Mazorca
- Grilled corn with your choice of toppings
- ‘Flutes’ of corn arepas wrapped around beef, chicken or cheese, then deep-fried until crisp!
- Unbelievably good!
Colombian Style Shish Kabob
- Succulent chunks of beef skewered and papas criolla
- Served with corn flour arepas
Torta de Choclo
- Colombian Corn Soufflé
- Slices like cornbread; light and airy like a soufflé, yet creamy like corn …
- So delicous, so moist, so sweet and gluten-free of course!
Natural Exotic Fruits Juices from Colombia
- Soursop (Guanábana) – a combination of strawberry & pineapple, sour citrus notes, creamy coconut-banana finish
- Guava (Guayaba) – a super-fruit with unique flavour & tastes
- Banana Passion Fruit (Curuba) – shaped like a banana, the flavour is deliciously passion-fruit!
- Naranjilla (Lulo) – a refreshing citrus flavour, with hints of rhubarb and lime
- Passion Fruit (Maracuyá) – sweet and aromatic
- Tamarillo (Tomate de Árbol) – one of the most popular fruits of South America
- Papaya – fruit native to Mexico and Central America
- Also available – Orange & Apple Juice – Minute Maid • Tomato Juice – Mott’s
Mastercard • Visa • Digital Payments • Free Wifi • Parking on Street • Parkade • Seating • Stand-Up • Takeout • Kid-friendly • Member Greater Victoria Chamber of Commerce
- Celiacs and gluten-free diners: be advised that The Celiac Scene makes no claims/endorsements proffered by other directories. Third party links above provided at the request of La Fogata Latina Restaurant.