Find Bake My Day’s fabulous gluten-free tarts, turnovers, pies, sausage rolls, spanakopita and seasonal treats at Christmas in a Manger.
NEW! Chicken Pot Pies and Curry Hand Pies. Only available at market appearances. Special orders 250-748-8450.
• Saturday, November 23 – 10am – 4pm
• Sunday, November 24 – 10am – 4pm
Enjoy these sumptuous delicacies on the spot and / or purchase ready-to-bake versions to take home and savor, warm from your own oven. Dale’s pie shells and groundbreaking, ready-to-roll puff pastry dough let you become the gluten-free chef you’ve always wanted to be. Ask about their dairy-free options.
NEW! Chicken Pot Pies and Curry Hand Pies. Only available at market appearances. Special orders 250-748-8450
- Outlet Store at 3030 Dogwood Road, Duncan (Tuesday to Saturday 7am to 3pm)
- Vancouver Island – Order Online for Delivery or Pickup
- Online Store for BC & Alberta – Open 24 / 7
- Complete Market & Craft Fair Schedule …
- Carrying retailers, restaurants and cafés …
VICTORIA & DUNCAN
Bake My Day is now listed with the Cowichan Co-op Marketplace (Cow-op). Order online and pick up your selection at central locations.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
- Order online from Friday 12pm to Tuesday midnight 12am (PST).
- Victoria Customers pick up orders on Thursdays between noon-5pm at Olive the Senses (1701 Douglas St.).
- Duncan customers pick up between 3-6pm at Cowichan Green Community (360 Duncan St).
Puff Pastry Tips from Dale!
- “If you have time, it’s best to thaw puff pastry overnight in the fridge.
- If you don’t have time, thaw it on the counter until it’s pliable enough to unfold without cracking, but still cool to the touch. Keep a close eye on it — if the dough feels very limp, refrigerate it for 30 minutes to help it firm up again.
- One of the biggest mistakes you can make is leaving it on the counter for too long. A room-temperature atmosphere will cause the puff pastry to wilt and become floppy. That, in turn, will make the layers stick, and render it almost impossible to work with. If your puff pastry gets too soft, return it to the fridge for 20 to 30 minutes before moving forward.
- Lightly roll out the puff pastry: Dust the top of the puff with just a little GF flour, then use a rolling pin to lightly roll. Puff pastry should be rolled out to approx. 4-5 mm depth.
- Follow any puff pastry recipe, remembering that ALL pastry (gluten-free or not) bakes off flakiest when chilled for a short time before baking in a hot oven ie 10-15 min in freezer first after making your ‘creation.’
- If you’re making a filled pastry, like a pot pie, for example, cut a few vents in the dough so hot air can escape and circulate as it bakes. If you skip this step, and you’ll have a soggy interior.
- We generally egg wash pastry before baking to give it that yummy golden colour
- A very general rule for baking the puff pastry is the following – bear in mind that oven temperatures vary.
- Set the oven to 200° C (400° F – gas 6) and bake in the middle of the oven for 20 minutes to 25 minutes. Check after 20 minutes as it’s easy to burn the edges from cooking for too long.
- Scraps can be gathered up and be reused. Make sure that scraps are layered on top of each other – not scrunched up into a ball, before re-rolling.”
Ready to Eat!
Ready to Bake!