University & College Students – enjoy 10% off EVERY DAY with provision of student ID card.
- Some restrictions apply. No discount on sale items.
A bustling market just steps away from the University of Victoria and one of the largest playgrounds in Victoria, shop at Pepper’s Foods for a picnic, a barbecue or the gluten-free foods you need to sustain you week in and week out! A long-time supporter of the Canadian Celiac Association’s Annual Picnic, Pepper’s Foods is the very ‘heart’ of Cadboro Bay!
3829 Cadboro Bay Road • 250-477-6513 • [email protected]
Follow Pepper’s Foods
- Facebook • Twitter • Instagram
- Pepper’s Foods Delivery • email [email protected] • email [email protected]
- Pepper’s Gluten-Free Product List
- Pepper’s Foods’ Complete Flyer
• 10% Student discount EVERY day!
Family Business Association of Vancouver Island has honoured Pepper’s Foods by presenting the 2020 Family Business Excellence Award. The annual awards recognize youth leadership and promote achievements of Vancouver Island family businesses and their contributions to their communities. Pepper’s Food Store, helmed by second-generation owner Cory Davits, was founded in 1962 and has grown to be a full-service grocer.
Pepper Foods has been chosen as 2020’s Regional Winner of the Canadian Federation of Independent Grocers of the Year in the (Small Surface Category.)
- “Our goal is to maintain the small community-store feeling while providing all the services of the larger chain store,” said Davits.
What’s New at Pepper’s Foods!
“Any time a local vendor or distributor approaches us with a local product, we’re all ears and open to carrying their product.” Scott Zaichkowsky, Assistant Grocery Manager
Gyro Park & Beach at Cadboro Bay
The legendary home of the “Cadborosaurus” sea serpent, Cadboro Bay is a partially protected bay with the kind of long, sandy beaches that make for sublime summer swimming, strolling and boating. The park has a replica of the Cadborosaurus creature, said to be a relative of the Loch Ness Monster. Caddy, as it is known, usually allows itself to be seen once or twice a year. Cadboro Bay’s beaches are well-equipped for family outings with picnic facilities, public washrooms and a children’s playground. Pack a snack from Pepper’s and enjoy!
Seniors & Students! Everyday is Discount Day at Mother Nature’s! Receive a discount of 7%!
Seniors 9am to 11am • Students 7pm to 9pm
Be Healthy, Go Natural! It makes a difference!
Natural Foods, Organic Produce and Local Products.
Mother Nature’s Market and Deli is committed to making every shopping experience a positive one. Proud to offer local and natural foods, Mother Nature’s feature organic fruits and vegetables and a wide selection of meat, fish and poultry, all non-medicated and ethically raised.
Competitive pricing values both the work and dedication of the producer (go farmers!) and the consumer, with no artificial ingredients, additives, GMO’s, preservatives or pesticides.
Gluten-free meal solutions, baking and snacks can be found throughout the store and enjoyed outside on surrounding patios while watching the world go by.
Cook Street Location – Think Paris in Victoria! 250-590-7390
Mother Nature’s is committed to supporting both local farmers and suppliers and offering our customers excellent service and the healthiest products available. Staff does their best to make every shopping experience a happy one. Mother Nature’s is gentle on the environment and always provides a positive face to the community.
Our Vision – Healthy store, happy staff, exceptional customer service, sustainable products, satisfied customers.
Our Mission – Provide top-quality natural foods, organic produce and local products priced competitively, both to value the work and dedication of the producer, and meet the needs of the consumer.
- Support local producers and growers, thereby promoting sustainable agriculture and the local economy and reducing our environmental footprint.
- Provide our customers with access to healthy and local foods offered in a welcoming and friendly environment.
- Hire and retain well-trained, knowledgeable staff who excel in providing exceptional customer service.
- Foster a work environment that promotes health and wellness and evokes teamwork, loyalty and pride in the workplace.
- Provide all staff with the opportunity to grow within the structure of Mother Nature’s Market and Deli through continuous quality improvement and recognition of individual and team efforts.
Become a Natures Lover! Membership is free!
- Add the handy Nature Lovers’ member card to your key chain and earn valuable points each time you shop. Points earned can be redeemed toward future purchases.
- Receive 10 points for every dollar you spend. Donate or redeem 1000 points for $1.00.
- SILVER LEVEL – Spend $500 within one month and receive a discount of 2% on all your purchase in the following month.
- GOLD LEVEL – Spend $750 within one month receive a discount of 5% on all your purchases in the following month.
- Students and Seniors need only $ 200 (Silver) or $ 350 (Gold) to achieve the respective levels
- Click here for more information
• Gluten-Free Poutine has been perfected! 2 pounds ‘Shoebox Poutine with Gravy’
• NEW! Daily all you can eat Fish & Chips – $19.95. No sharing.
• piratechips.ca • Facebook • Instagram • Gift Cards
• Licensed Patio (New Grist Gluten-Free Beer) • Delivery • Alcohol available by delivery, with food orders.
If you’re looking for local scratch cooking that isn’t afraid to get weird, set sail to Pirate Chips in the heart of Nanaimo, BC. Meet their quirky crew and try one of their unique gluten-free menu items in the relaxed atmosphere of our downtown diner – we won’t judge you, and your taste buds will thank you!
Fans from out of town love Pirate Chips for their legendary deep-fried gluten-free delights – Gluten-Free Deep-Fried S’mores – and locals know them as the best place for fresh local seafood in Nanaimo. With quality as the backbone of every one of their recipes, you can trust our food to make you and your family smile.
Pirate Chips staff will happily accommodate additional allergies & sensitivities. Make your needs known when ordering and the Pirate Chips Crew will change aprons, clean all surfaces and take every precaution to prepare a safe and delicious meal. Pirate Chips asks that we please allow time for this process.
Pirate Chips has TWO dedicated gluten-free fryers and offer gluten-free buns for hamburgers, oysters and halibut burgers! Gluten-free Poutine, Clam Chowder, Fish Tacos, Soups, Poke Bowls and New Grist Gluten-Free Beer! Plenty of vegetarian options, too! Pirate Bling available for purchase!
If you’re in love with the Taco Revolution’s 100% Gluten-Free Food Truck as well as their fresh tortillas, authentic Mexican spices, salsas, bean dips and taco fillings to prepare in your own kitchen, here’s your chance! All 100% gluten free! LEARN MORE HERE!
Cedar Farmers Markets Food Truck AND Market Table
Every Sunday from Mother’s Day until Hallowe’en
1984 Woobank Road, Nanaimo, BC V9X 1H4
9:30 am (seniors and immune-compromised individuals) others 10am – 2pm
Online • Facebook • Instagram
Esquimalt Farmer’s Market
NEW! Monday April 4 & 11 – Gorge Park 4:30 – 7:30
Thursdays, starting April 7, 2022 through September – Memorial Park – 4:30 – 7:30
1200 Esquimalt Road Memorial Park, Victoria, BC
Shop Online • Facebook • Instagram
About Taco Revolution Tortillas
- Taco Revolution is Cowichan Valley’s own locally produced, fresh corn tortilla maker. Taco Revolution tortillas contain only heirloom (non-GMO) corn, water, and lime; no artificial fillers, preservatives, or unnatural genetically modified ‘frankencorn’ like most tortillas you find in stores.
- Taco Revolution fresh corn tortillas contain only top-quality Non-GMO corn that is naturally gluten-free. They do not contain artificial colours, flavours, or preservatives. The only ingredients are corn, water, and traces of natural lime. Low in fat, a good source of dietary fibre and healthy carbohydrates, and have a glycemic index of 40 (low). Contain a range of nutrients and minerals such as protein, calcium, iron, potassium, magnesium, and B vitamins. And as a bonus, each tortilla contains less than 50 calories. So go ahead and eat a few!
Seasonings – 100% gluten-free
- Chorizo Spice Mix
- Taco Seasoning Mix
- Nun’s Mistake Mole
Salsas – fresh sauce. Ideal for dipping.
- Fresh Tomato Salsa, Medium or Spicy Heat
Pico de Gallo – fresh, raw vegetables, never cooked. Ideal as a salad or a filling
- Mild or Medium Heat
- Shredded Chicken Tinga
- Pulled Pork Cochinita Pibil
- Refried Beans
- Vegan Chorizo
Taco Revolution Food Truck
Taco Revolution tacos are so good you will want them every day, and that’s possible: Keep tabs on Taco Revolution no matter where they go!
Most Monday & Tuesdays!
Find Taco Revolution 100% Gluten-Free Food Truck parked outside Red Arrow Brewing (5255 Chaster Road) for their famous tacos at Red Arrow Brewery 7 days per week from 12-5pm but hours can vary. Call Red Beer Brewing to confirm at (250) 597-0037. ‘Contactless COVID’ precautions strictly adhered to! Pay stations sanitized between each order.
TUESDAYS! Tacos are just $3 each – instead of the regular $4 – at Red Arrow Brewery
Most Wednesdays • Thursdays • Fridays
2490 Trans-Canada Hwy, Mill Bay from 11am to 7pm.
NEW! Taco Revolution 100% Gluten-Free Food Truck Now Delivers – through Door Dash! See bit.ly/DoorDashTaco
NEW! Toll-Free Number! Place an order at 1-833-TACO-REV (1-833-822-6738). Pick up at the Food Truck
Taco Revolution’s tortillas are prepared fresh daily at their dedicated gluten-free facility, made with gluten-free corn masa flour! Authentic Guajillo, Ancho, Achiote, Chipotle spices and cocao are imported from dedicated facilities in Mexico. All other ingredients are sourced fresh, and as locally as possible from locally sourced, wild-caught Rockfish to cilantro, carrots to tomatoes! No gluten is allowed on the food truck – full stop! Love, love, love the Revolution!
Taco Revolution Caters!
We cater weddings, birthday parties, staff parties, corporate events and all other kinds of public and private occasions. Taco Revolution takes care of your guests with their “All-you-can-eat taco parties.” Like having an open bar, but with tacos!
We are flexible! Wedding by the beach? No problem! Over 300 guests? We’ve done it! Exclusively vegan menu? You got it! Guests with allergies? We can certainly accommodate!
Easy is their middle name! Taco Revolution provides all necessary biodegradable service ware (plates, napkins, forks, etc.) and for an extra cost we can provide non-alcoholic drinks as well. Let them give you the peace of mind you deserve during your event!
Tell Us About Your Event
We’d love to hear about your upcoming event. Let us know your event date, tentative number of guest, preferred service time and venue location.
Email us at: [email protected] or if you prefer, phone us at: 1(833)822-6738 (toll free) We would be happy to share our details!
Taco Rev provides service in Sidney, Victoria, Sooke, Mill Bay, Shawnigan Lake, Duncan, Chemainus, Ladysmith, Cedar, Nanaimo, Lantzville, Parksville, Qualicum Beach, Comox/Courtenay, and anywhere in between.
Farmers’ Markets: Dates & appearances may change. Confirm on Gluten-Free Events Page.
- Saturdays – Duncan’s Market
- Saturdays – Salt Spring Market
- Saturdays – Moss Street Market
- Saturdays – Gabriola Market
- Sundays – Sidney Market
- Sundays – Cedar Market
- Sundays – Sidney Market
The Art of Slow Food meets dietary limitations or preferences of all kinds – gluten-free, lactose-free, vegan & sugar-free – food that isn’t complicated or unpronounceable.
You asked for it! The Art of Slow Food is now selling their raw, sourdough pizza dough. Each dough ball makes a 14″-16″ sized pizza. Find them in the refrigerator or freezers sections of carrying retailers and markets.
About the Dough
- Made with spring water, psyllium husk, ground flax, sorghum flour, tapioca flour, natural levain (wild yeast) and sea salt
- Good for 21 days in the fridge, 3 months in the freezer
- Remove dough from fridge and let it reach room temperature
- Dough will be workable, easy to roll but a bit more sensitive to tearing than gluten dough
- Roll out with a dusting of gluten-free flour or between two pieces of parchment paper
- Crust can be par-baked for 3-5 minutes at 450˚F or for 7-10 minutes all dressed, until cheese browns
- Par-baked crusts can be frozen until needed.
This is extra-special gluten free bread: fresh baked, rustic, soft, chewy and easily digestible sourdough! Using natural wild levain and a base of psyllium husk, flax and water, the dough is fermented for 12-18 hours to allow phytic acid breakdown and real flavor development. The bread is then baked on a stone to create rustic loaves with appealing crust.
The Art of Slow Food does not use common gluten-free ingredients such as xanthan gum, agar agar, potato starch, rice flour or other high-starch ingredients. The bread is made with only 7 simple, organic ingredients, in order of predominance: Spring water, psyllium husk, ground flax, sorghum flour, tapioca flour, natural levain (wild yeast) and sea salt.
As a result of slow fermentation, the carbohydrates and starches in the bread are broken down, creating a light, soft digestible bread. The psyllium husk and ground flax act as a digestive aid and provide a soft, chewy texture without gluten or added starches.
Sourdough selection includes Toasted Sesame, Plain, Kalamata Olive, Rosemary Poppyseed and on occasion, Cranberry Walnut!
Their sauerkraut is made the traditional way – fermented for a minimum of 3 weeks in traditional German crocks and never pasteurized. Enjoy a number of varieties that are versatile and go well with any meal – sandwiches, salads, stir fries, soups, eggs or sausages. Sauerkraut is a highly probiotic food, and is best used to accompany meals to aid in digestion.
Sauerkraut selection includes Dilly Kraut, Cortido Kraut and Chimichurri Kraut.
About the Baker / Fermentor / Creator
Kaitlin is a whole foods chef and baker and has been fermenting for 7 years. She works exclusively with artisan-style traditional foods, using local and organic ingredients to create simple, accessible nourishment. She strives to teach sustainability and self-sufficiency through the art of slow food. Kaitlin has extensive experience working with dietary restrictions and nutritional deficiencies and will work with any specifications by request.
Learn the ancient tradition of preserving foods and maximizing nutrition with simple tools and local foods. Bring your own jar and take home a ferment. Learn more here.
The Celiac Scene™ is your premier resource for fabulous gluten-free living in Victoria, Vancouver Island & the Gulf Islands. Owned & operated by celiacs, we introduce you to restaurants we trust and local gluten-free products we love! We even tell you where to purchase them, at the very best prices. Enjoy national celiac news, local reviews and non-stop gluten-free event notices. The Celiac Scene is your ‘Guide to Gluten-Free Paradise!’
What is Celiac Disease?
Celiac disease occurs in individuals with a genetic predisposition for making antibodies to gluten. When gluten protein – found in wheat, barley and rye – is ingested, autoimmune antibodies not only attack the gluten, they also damage the lining of the small intestine. Symptoms may include digestive pain, constipation, diarrhea and fatigue. The resulting malabsortion of nutrients can lead to slowed growth and development in children and anemia, osteoporosis and fertility issues in adults. Untreated celiacs are also at an increased risk of developing digestive cancers and other autoimmune diseases. The only treatment is a strict gluten-free diet for life. The world-wide incidence of Celiac disease is estimated at 1 in 100. Of the number of people with Celiac disease in Canada, less than 5% will be properly diagnosed in their lifetimes despite the existence of a simple, prescreening blood test. Learn more …
Is there a test for Celiac disease?
Yes! There are two pre-screening blood tests that can determine whether your body makes the antibodies that are associated with Celiac disease:
- tTg: IgA anti-transglutaminase antibody test
- Total Serum IgA
While these blood tests are very sensitive, they are not 100% accurate. If the tTg test is positive or the IgA test shows a deficiency, a duodenal biopsy is required to make a diagnosis. Collected under mild sedation, evidence of damage to the lining of the small intestine is definitive proof of Celiac disease.
*Blood tests and intestinal biopsies are diagnostic services that are provided at no charge to residents of British Columbia. See Medical Services Plan.
Ask to be tested if you have unexplained iron deficiency, osteoporosis, brittle type 1 DM, a family history of Celiac disease, have experienced 3 months of frequent diarrhea, weight loss, dairy intolerance or exceptional gas and bloating. Learn more …
Can I be diagnosed if I’ve already gone gluten free?
It is essential that prescreening blood tests and the biopsy be performed while a person is consuming gluten in order to measure the antibodies associated with the disease and observe associated damage to the small intestine. Test results may appear falsely negative if gluten has already been removed from the diet.
Adults should consume 10 grams of gluten (4 slices of bread or equivalent) for at least 1 month prior to testing. Children should consume 5 grams of gluten (2 slices of bread or equivalent).
It may take 2-3 months on a gluten challenge to turn the tTg and biopsy positive. Because it can be very uncomfortable to reintroduce gluten to one’s diet – the gluten challenge is truly a challenge – consult your medical care provider about being prescreened for CD BEFORE choosing to go gluten free. Learn more …
Can I view my test results online?
Yes! My e-health offers a fast and secure method for patients to receive their results electronically. As soon as results are released from the performing lab, they’re available online in my ehealth. A variety of secure technologies and procedures to help protect your information from unauthorized access, use or disclosure. My ehealth is a free service available to residents of British Columbia registered with the Medical Services Plan and is available in 4 languages. Learn more …
What is Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity?
Individuals with Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity (NCGS) experience digestive symptoms that are similar to those experienced by individuals with Celiac disease. Like celiacs, their symptoms improve when gluten is eliminated from their diet. Unlike celiacs, their bodies do not create antibodies to gluten, nor do they exhibit the damage to the small intestine that is the hallmark of Celiac disease. People with NCGS are at no greater risk of developing additional autoimmune conditions or digestive cancers. At the moment, there are no tests that can prove whether one has NCGS. A diagnosis of NCGS can be made when tests for Celiac disease are negative. It is estimated NCGS affects 6-10% of the population. Learn more …
Dermatitis Herpetiformis – Little Sister to Celiac Disease
Dermatitis Herpetiformis (DH) is an inherited autoimmune disease of the skin marked by groups of watery, itchy blisters. Like Celiac disease, ingesting gluten triggers an immune system response that deposits inflammatory lgA antibodies under the top layer of skin.
The lgA deposits result in eruptions similar to the beginning of a pimple. This painfully itchy rash may progress to red, raised patches of skin that develop into small, watery blisters. The itching and burning of the eruptions are severe and the urge to scratch them is intense. Eruptions commonly occur on pressure points – around the elbows, the front of the knees, the buttocks, back, shoulders, face, and scalp and typically occur on both sides of the body. Sixty percent of those diagnosed are men and the most common ages at diagnosis are between 15 and 40 years old.
A small biopsy of unaffected skin, next to an eruption that reveals the presence of IgA deposits confirms a diagnosis of DH. A strict gluten-free diet for life is the only treatment, but the diet should only be started once a diagnosis has been made. The medication Dapsone may be prescribed to ease symptoms until the gluten-free diet reduces the severity and frequency of eruptions. Learn more …
Why can’t I just go gluten free?
Knowing whether or not you have a chronic autoimmune disorder is important to your future health and the health of your family. There may be a price for choosing not to know.
• Screening for Celiac disease is free in British Columbia
• Blood samples can be collected at your local out patient laboratory
• A diagnosis will tell you how strict your diet needs to be
• In conjunction with a lifelong commitment to the diet, health complications may be reduced
• Your doctor can better monitor your health for other autoimmune disorders
• Celiac disease is genetic. A diagnosis confirms for your family that they may also be at risk
• Familial screening provides an early diagnosis for those with latent (asymptomatic) Celiac disease
• A diagnosis offers eligibility for future therapies that require a definitive diagnosis
• You may qualify for a Medical Expense Tax Credit
• If Celiac disease is ruled out, your doctor can proceed to test you for other disease(s)
• You can save money on gluten-free food if celiac disease is ruled out! Learn more …