Chicken Biriyani – a delicious savory rice dish that is loaded with spicy marinated chicken, caramelized onions, and flavorful saffron rice.
DOSA – a cooked flat thin layered rice batter, somewhat similar to a crepe.
PARAGON – a person or thing regarded as a perfect example of a particular quality.
• 735 Yates Street – tucked inside St. Andrew’s Square Building – across from Cineplex Odeon.
• dosaparagon.ca • Facebook • Instagram • Contact • 778.440.2206
• Hours: Tues-Wed-Thurs 11-8:30 • Fri-Sat 11-9 • Sun11-8 • Closed Mondays
Thursday Special – Vegetable Biriyani
• A bold and flavorful Indian rice dish with bell peppers, peas, carrots and potatoes in a spiced rice dish made with turmeric, garam masala and other warm spices.
- DOSA – a crispy savoury rice crepe cooked flat thin layered, made from fermented rice and lentil batter, then filled.
- UTHAPPAM – thick pancake made from rice and lentil batter, with different toppings.
- PAPADUM – a thin crisp disk shaped lentil wafers, made from seasoned black gram flour, either fried or grilled with dry heat.
- VADA – a savoury fried snack from India. It is made from lentils.
- IDLY – a savoury, steamed rice cake very popular in Southern India and Sri Lanka , from Indian subcontinent. . IDLY are made by Steaming a batter consisting of fermented black lentils and rice. Learn more about this super food here.
- SAMBAR – lentils and Vegetables cooked with tamarind and blend of spices.
- INDIAN PICKLE- known as Achar, made from a variety of vegetables & fruits, preserved in brine, vinegar, edible oils and a blend of various Indian spices.
- Click here to view the complete menu.
Victoria Buzz Review by Brishti Basu 1
- On July 8th, Prashant “Bob” Unnikrishnan and his wife Lathika quietly opened the doors to Dosa Paragon, a south Indian restaurant that is one of its kind in Victoria, and perhaps all of Vancouver Island. Unlike other East Indian eateries in town, this restaurant specializes in cuisine local to the south Indian state of Kerala and everything on the menu is made from scratch by the husband-and-wife duo. Bob, who has lived in Victoria for the past 6 years, brings his dishes straight from India after having worked in major cities like Mumbai, Chennai and Bangalore. Before opening Dosa Paragon, he worked as a chef at several restaurants around town including Irish Times Pub, John’s Place, and Varsha Indian Kitchen.
- Some of their highlights include the Masala Dosa (a rice crepe stuffed with spiced potato), their Onion and Cilantro Uthappam (a savoury pancake topped with onion and cilantro), and for meat eaters, an aromatic and flavourful Chicken Biryani (a spiced rice and chicken dish). Of course, no Indian meal is complete without a drink to go with it.
- Those who prefer a cooler beverage may choose the thick, sweet concoction that is their mango smoothie. For those partial to hot drinks, the restaurant offers an authentic ‘masala chai’ or tea flavoured with a mix of spices and herbs.
- While Bob and his wife have done practically nothing to advertise their new restaurant, the small eatery always has a steady stream of customers to keep them busy – a testament to the nearly addictive flavours and aromas emanating from Dosa Paragon. They have been so busy, in fact, that the owners have had to extend their business hours up to 9 p.m. to keep up with the demand.
- “That’s our motivation,” said Bob when asked about how customers have been responding to his restaurant. “We just want to maintain that momentum as our main goal is customer satisfaction.”
Anyone tuned into Vancouver Island’s gluten-free dining scene has heard the call of Union Street Grill & Grotto’s amazing celiac-friendly menu – with its extensive selection of gluten-free appetizers, entrees and desserts.
Union Street Grill’s recipe is simple and effective – provide the Comox Valley with three essential ingredients! Good Food, Good Drinks and Good Times!
Scroll down to view Gluten-Free Menu • View complete menu here.
Reserve: 250-897-0081 • 477 5th Street in Courtenay
SUNDAYS AFTER 5PM: Kids’ meals are $2 off. Seniors receive a 10% discount. Frequent Diners earn double points!
Be sure to tell your server that you are ordering from the Gluten Free Menu. If you have a serious allergy, also let them know. Good, Fresh Food Takes Time!
The serving of tapas is designed to encourage conversation, people are not so focused upon eating an entire meal that is set before them. In some countries, it is customary for diners to stand and move about while eating tapas.
- GF SOUP OF THE DAY – Ask your server.
Cup … $4 Big Bowl … $9 (with a crispy corn tortilla)
- GF VEGAN CHILI – Medium spiced, with lots of beans, corn & roasted vegetables.
Cup … $4 Big Bowl … $9 (with a crispy corn tortilla)
- GF ROASTED GARLIC BEAN DIP – Beans, cilantro, tahini, roasted garlic, olive oil, & lime with crispy corn tortillas & fresh veggies … $8
- GF YAM FRIES & DIP – Crispy yams with our garlic herb mayo … $9
- GF FRIES & DIP – House fries with our garlic herb mayo … $7
- GF SCREAMINGS & DIP – Cajun spiced house fries with our garlic herb mayo … $7
- GF GRILLED CAESAR STARTER – A smaller version of your favorite … $8
- GF SPINACH SALAD STARTER – A smaller version of your favorite … $8
- GF ARTISAN GREENS STARTER – Mixed greens, slaw, zucchini curls, Eatmore sunflower sprouts, & pumpkin seeds. Your choice of dressing … $6
- GF GROTTO QUINOA – Organic herb quinoa, with Artisan greens, olives, cucumbers, tomatoes, feta & balsamic vinaigrette … $10
- GF FRIED OYSTERS – Lightly coasted & fried, drizzled with a sweet chili sauce … $11
- GF SALTSPRING ISLAND MUSSELS – Steamed with peppers & onions in a coconut curry sauce. Served with a corn tortilla … $14
- GF PRAWN TACOS – Corn tortilla cups with romaine, grilled prawns, roasted corn, beans, & chipotle sauce. Served with fresh pico de gallo salsa … $13
- GF FISH TACOS – BBQ rockfish, romaine, sprouts, & cabbage slaw, in Abuelos soft corn chia tortillas with fresh pico de gallo salsa… $13
- GF SCHOONER SQUID – Lightly breaded served with garlic yogurt and fried onions.. $11
- GF PANKO CHICKEN – Crispy fried chicken breast with honey mustard dip … $8
- GF YAM, ROSEMARY & GARLIC PEROGIES – Russet potatoes, yams, rosemary & garlic stuffed perogies. Served with a cucumber dill sour cream … $12
- GF PORK RIBS – Our balsamic marinated pork ribs with sweet chili sauce … $12
- GF TATAKI TUNA – Local Albacore tuna, seared & served with our sesame wasabi sauce & herb corn crisps… $10
- GF THAI PRAWN SALAD – Thai vinaigrette on warm rice noodles with grilled prawns, spinach, julienne peppers, green onions, kale & sprouts … $18
- GF GRILLED CAESAR SALAD – Charbroiled romaine hearts, house dressing, & shaved parmesan … $15
– Add BBQ Chicken … $7
– Add BBQ Rockfish … $5
– Add BBQ Tuna … $8
- GF CHARBROILED CHICKEN SALAD – BBQ fresh chicken breast, served hot on Artisan greens with almonds, & our signature honey yogurt dressing… $17
- GF PORK N‘ FETA – Thinly sliced BBQ pork, served hot, over Artisan greens with feta & honey yogurt dressing… $17
- GF QUINOA AVOCADO SALAD – Grilled romaine heart, fresh avocado, grilled peppers, zucchini curls, slaw, Eatmore sprouts, feta & balsamic vinaigrette on organic herb quinoa … $15
– Add Walnut Mushroom Patty … $5
– Add BBQ Chicken … $7
- GF SPINACH SALAD – Mushrooms, sundried tomatoes, artichoke hearts, shaved parmesan & honey yogurt dressing… $11
– Add BBQ Rockfish … $5
– Add BBQ Chicken … $7
- Salad Dressings
– Spicy Thai Vinaigrette
– Balsamic Vinaigrette
– Honey Yogurt
– BBQ Pork Slices
– BBQ Chicken Breast
– BBQ Rockfish
– Grilled Prawns
– Grilled Red Peppers
– Walnut Mushroom Patty
– House-made gravy
Tostadas are served on a crispy corn tortilla. Comes with Soup, Vegan Chili, Fries, Screamings or Greens. Sub GF Grilled Caesar or Yam Fries … $2.00
- GF OYSTER TOSTADA – Crispy fried oysters, lettuce, tomatoes, sprouts, & cucumber dill sour cream … $16
- GF MONTEREY TOSTADA – BBQ beef burger, back bacon, Monterey Jack cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, sprouts & garlic herb mayo … $16
- GF GREEK LAMB TOSTADA – BBQ lamb patty, lettuce, tomatoes, feta, sprouts & cucumber dill sour cream … $16
- GF CHICKEN TOSTADA – BBQ chicken breast, grilled peppers, Monterey Jack cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, sprouts & chipotle mayo … $16
- GF BBQ PORK TOSTADA – Thinly sliced BBQ pork, shredded romaine, cabbage slaw, feta & garlic yogurt … $14
- GF TUNA TOSTADA – Seared local Albacore tuna, lettuce, tomatoes, Monterey Jack cheese, sprouts, & sweet wasabi sauce. Topped with pickled ginger … $15
- GF CRISPY ROCKFISH TOSTADA – Lightly fried Panko rockfish, lettuce, tomatoes, sprouts, & cucumber dill sour cream …$16
- GF WALNUT MUSHROOM TOSTADA – Our own famous vegetarian burger made with roasted walnuts, mushrooms & garbanzos, topped with sautéed mushrooms, lettuce, tomatoes, sprouts, & garlic herb mayo … $15
- GF PORK & ONION TOSTADA – Thinly sliced BBQ pork, lettuce, tomatoes, grilled red onion, sprouts, & dijonnaise honey yogurt … $15
- GF BARBEQUED STEAK TOSTADA – our famous charbroiled AAA 6oz sirloin, with sautéed mushrooms & onions … $18
GF ROCKFISH TOSTADA – BBQ rockfish, shredded romaine, cabbage slaw, sprouts, & cucumber dill sour cream … $14
LUNCH UNTIL 5:00
Pastas served with GF fusilli and a corn tortilla. Comes with Soup, Vegan Chili, Fries, Screaming’s or Greens. Sub GF Grilled Caesar or Yam Fries … $2.00
- GF LITTLE ITALY – Gluten-free fusilli with fresh spinach, tomatoes, kalamata olives, green onions & garlic in extra virgin olive oil with feta … $13
– Add Chorizo Sausage … $4
– Add Chicken ..$4
- GF SAUSAGE SICILIAN – Gluten-free fusilli, chorizo sausage, artichokes, green onions, sundried tomatoes & roasted garlic in extra virgin olive oil, with shaved parmesan …$14
- GF GRILLED PRAWN FUSILLI – Baked with green onions, edam, mozza & mushrooms in a prawn bisque cream sauce … $15
- GF CHICKEN MILANO – Gluten-free fusilli, mushrooms, green onions, & tomatoes in a garlic cream sauce with shaved parmesan… $14
- GF MAC & CHEESE – Gluten-free fusilli pasta, butternut yam sauce with lots of cheese … $15
- GF ROCKFISH AVOCADO – Gluten-free fusilli, rockfish, avocado, & tomatoes in a garlic cream sauce with shaved parmesan … $14
- GF CHORIZO FUSILLI – Gluten-free fusilli tossed with chorizo sausage, green onions, mushrooms, & roasted garlic in a tomato sauce with shaved parmesan … $14
- GF SPINACH CHEESE OMELETTE – Fresh spinach, edam, & mozza. Served with fresh pico de gallo salsa … $13
– Add Avocado … $2
– Add Back Bacon … $2
- GF FISH’N’CHIPS – Lightly fried panko rockfish with house made fries, garlic herb slaw, and cucumber dill sour cream …$14
DINNER AFTER 5:00
All GF pastas come with a crispy corn tortilla
- GF CHICKEN & CHORIZO – Fusilli pasta, roasted chicken, chorizo, green onions, mushrooms, & roasted garlic in a tomato sauce with shaved parmesan. … $19
- GF ROCKFISH AVOCADO – Fusilli pasta, rockfish, avocado & tomatoes in a garlic cream sauce with shaved parmesan. … $19
- GF LITTLE ITALY – Fusilli tossed with fresh spinach, fresh tomatoes, kalamata olives, green onions & garlic in extra virgin olive oil with feta … $18
– Add Chorizo Sausage …$4
- GF SAUSAGE SICILIAN – Fusilli, chorizo sausage, artichokes, green onions, sundried tomatoes & roasted garlic in extra virgin olive oil, with shaved parmesan … $20
- GF CHICKEN MILANO – Fusilli, mushrooms, green onions, & fresh tomatoes in a garlic cream sauce with shaved parmesan … $19
- GF MAC & CHEESE – Fusilli pasta, butternut yam sauce with lots of cheese … $19
- GF WEST COAST SHELLFISH FUSILLI – Fresh local rockfish, clams, mussels & prawns steamed in a prawn bisque cream sauce with spinach & shaved parmesan … $24
- GF JAMBALAYA BOWL – A Creole classic; fresh local clams, mussels & prawns in a fire roasted tomato cream sauce with chorizo, chicken, peppers & onions, over brown rice … $23
- GF THAI STIRFRY BOWL – Peppers, onions, mushrooms, cabbage, broccoli, kale, edamame, & sprouts, stir-fried in our sesame Thai sauce, over rice noodles … $17
– Add BBQ Chicken … $7
– Add BBQ Pork … $5
- GF CURRY BOWL – Peppers, onions, cabbage, carrots, kale, edamame, sprouts, sautéed, in a rich, spicy, coconut curry sauce, over brown rice … $14
– Add Charbroiled Chicken … $5
– Add Grilled Prawns … $7
- GF BAKED OYSTERS – Lightly fried oysters on a bed of spinach with a herb cream sauce, baked with edam & mozza. Served with brown rice or lemon herb quinoa & Artisan greens … $20
- GF BBQ STEAK & PRAWNS – Charbroiled AAA 6 oz sirloin served on butternut yam potato mash or lemon herb quinoa & Artisan greens … $25.00
- GF BALSAMIC PORK RIBS – Baked in a house-made balsamic BBQ sauce, served on butternut yam potato mash or lemon herb quinoa & Artisan greens … $22
- GF UNION STREET CHEESECAKE – Choice of sauce … $8
- GF CARAMEL PECAN SQUARE – Sundried cranberries … $8
- GF CHOCOLATE DEATH TORTE – You won’t believe it … $9
- GF FRUIT COBBLER – Apples, mixed berries, and cinnamon … $8
- GF CREME BRULEE – Bing cherry sauce … $9
- GF PREMIUM SUNDAE – Choice of sauce … $6
- GF LEMON SORBET – Raspberry sauce … $6
- GF GROTTO SHAKE – Real ice cream, fruit or syrup … $6
- GF CRISPY BAR – Toasted krispies, real butter … $2
- GF COOKIE – Not just another chocolate chip cookie … $2
A must-visit destination for anyone who loves fabulous baking – full stop!
(Closed Sundays, Mondays & Stat Holidays)
Wild Poppy serves savoury breakfasts and light lunches with soup, baguettes and everything you could ask for in a deli – all from documented to be gluten-free, peanut-free ingredients. Nut-free and vegan options available.
Find Wild Poppy just one quick block off the Trans Canada Highway 1 in Ladysmith – turn left at the Buller Street lights. Click here for map.
Hours: Tues-Fri 8-5 Sat 8-4 Closed Sundays, Mondays & Stat Holidays • 250-924-8696
Testimonial: “We had Madeline’s cousin visiting from Halifax for a couple weeks. When we toured them up to Chemainus/Ladysmith all eight of us (one celiac) enjoyed a delicious meal at Wild Poppy. We had to have take out as the restaurant was full. Wonderful to see.”
As co-owners of the Old Town (Wheat) Bakery at 510 1st Avenue in Ladysmith, Vancouver Island, Kate Cram and husband Geoff could easily be considered local celebrities! As an ‘Associate with the Culinary Institute of America‘ who also undertook to certify as a Red Seal Baker in Canada, Kate is truly baker’s baker!
Two children later, Kate and Geoff’s young sons began to experience persistent health issues that had them resorting to a gluten-free diet in search of relief. The improvement was nothing short of remarkable and a heads up to Kate that gluten may be taking a toll on her own health. The couple found themselves at a professional and personal cross roads with Kate contemplating the end of a career she loved, and their children unable to set foot within the family business.
That’s how Wild Poppy Bakery and Bistro was born!
Daily Empower Hour – 4pm-5pm
Purchase any juice and a shot of wheatgrass – receive a FREE regular size bowl or salad (up to $10 value). The perfect meal combination to enjoy a clean dinner for a low, low price.
This Week’s Specials!
Have you had a chance to try the new Hot Teriyaki Bowl yet? Comes with bok choy, basmati brown rice (if you like, you can subsitute zoodles to keep it raw,) broccoli, mushrooms, carrots, cashews, green onions, and smothered in our Teriyaki Broth.
On special with our regular Mango Lime Zinger smoothie – regular $19 – on for only $14.99.
January Cleanse Programs
- 3-day Cleanse program 25% off, Reg $120 on for $89.99.
- 7-day Cleanse program 25% off, Reg $301 on for $225.
- 14-day Cleanse program 30% off, Reg $602 on for $419.99.
- Receive a complimentary cleanse guide book.
Raw Alive Delicious … See you at Rawthentic.
Why Raw Food?
Raw food is great for everyone. One of the main goals of eating and drinking more raw foods is to obtain plenty of nutrients in an easy-to-digest manner, one that our bodies are naturally suited for. While there’s no need to go completely raw or to declare yourself a “raw vegan,” consuming at least some raw vegetables and fruits every day is important for just about everyone. Learn more here!
Courtenay – 407-B Fifth St • 250-338-0571 •
Mon to Fri 8am-6:30pm • Sat 9am-6:30pm • Sun 10am-5pm
Victoria – Royal Oak – 108-4440 West Saanich Rd • 778-432-4800
Mon to Fri 8am-8pm • Sat 9:30am-7:30pm • Sun 10am-6pm
Rawthentic’s menu has a focus on high quality, raw, vegan, organic ingredients to achieve optimum flavour & health benefits. All items are raw, gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, no sugar and 100% vegan. Learn more here!
Buy in Bulk Online
Shop for dry goods, grocery, health & beauty, home, lifestyle, makery & produce – at wholesale pricing! Learn more here!
- Special Offer! Order over $25 online – receive a FREE large smoothie (value $10) when you pick up.
At Rawthentic, we LOVE offering our raw food catering service for important events. We’ll provide everything you need to get your next party off the ground whether they are social or business. We can cater for up to 200 guests for weddings, birthdays, dinner parties & corporate events. Learn more here!
Rawthentic Eatery’s raw, plant-based menu is broad, delicious and diverse, perfect for anyone and everyone seeking the essential whole food energy that helps us THRIVE. All of Rawthentic’s menu items are made from hand-selected, high-quality, organic vegan ingredients to always achieve optimum freshness and flavour. Learn more here!
Six Mile Pub is more than fabulous gluten-free onion rings! Be sure to ask for their Feature Sheet! ‘Good Food’ that just happens to be ‘Gluten Free.’ This month, enjoy Pan-Seared Halibut, Roasted Cauliflower Cakes, Fried Brussels Sprouts & Mushroom Risotto. Amazing GF desserts, too!
Six Mile Pub pulls out all the gluten-free stops – every Sunday! Gluten-free hotcake stack, eggs benedict, omelettes, hash browns and amazing desserts! Gear up with a Mimosa, a Caesar or even a gluten-free Bard’s Beer! Gots Kids? Ask to be seated in the Family Room and order from the Kids Menu!
Six Mile Pub Believes in Great Food that Happens to be Gluten Free!
- TESTIMONIAL: Just had dinner last night at the 6 Mile Pub on Old Island Highway. Wow! I have eaten here before but was amazed again at the GF menu selection, presentation, deliciousness, and the feeling of safety eating there. We went with another family and it was so awesome that I could share food with others who easily ordered GF even though they aren’t Celiac because there is just so many good things to choose from. The calamari is the best I have had anywhere. All the deserts were gluten free. How is this possible I wondered? I asked the waitress and she told me the chef is Celiac! We need more Celiac chefs that are this creative!! I this has got to be best restaurant for dinner for Celiacs in the Victoria area.
The 160 year-old View Royal pub that served the Gold Rush has set the gold standard for gluten free! Pub fare created with culinary flare, Six Mile is proud to serve ‘SIX-Nature’ chicken wings, deep-fried halibut and – wait for it – safe french fries & yam fries cooked in a dedicated deep fryer!
Six Mile Pub’s Red Seal Chefs and their protégées pride themselves on meeting the needs of celiac diners and anyone with sensitivities i.e. dairy, soy, nuts or shellfish.
The kudos continue – it is not necessary to call ahead to announce a gluten-free diner, but those with additional sensitivities will be treated like royalty if you let the chefs know at 250-478-3121. They’ve yet to meet an allergy they have not been able to accommodate.
- Six Mile Pub Videos – click here.
- Proud to serve 100% Gluten-Free Bard’s Beer
- Six Mile Pub Celebrates 160 Years in View Royal
There’s a cozy corner, a sun-drenched patio or a pool table just right for you. Families are welcome with a menu made with the celiac child in mind. The family room, open daily until 9pm also makes a great space for group functions.
DID YOU KNOW?
- That all the Pastas, Breads and Corn Tortilla Chips we serve are made fresh, right here in our own kitchen.
- That we keep our own Honey Bees in our Riverside Culinary Garden and Apiary to produce pure, unpasteurized honey for our Bar syrups and desserts.
- That one of our goals is to foster a healthier community by serving only wild Ocean-Wise seafood, “Drug-Free” meats and Organic produce wherever possible and practical.
- That it is important to us to help sustain the Local Economy by providing local employment and purchasing from Local farms such as Parry Bay Sheep Farm, Laughing Ducks Farm and Saanich Organics.
- That because of the purity of our food, many of our guests with Food Allergies and Sensitivities are now able to enjoy a proper “restaurant” meal.
- That we long for the day when ALL our Guests will already know that EVERYTHING we serve is made from scratch, on-site, and that we will no longer need to use terms like “house-made” and “fresh” to describe our food.
The Celiac Scene™ is your premier resource for fabulous gluten-free living in Victoria, Vancouver Island & the Gulf Islands. Owned & operated by celiacs, we guide you to restaurants we trust and local gluten-free products we love! We even tell you where to purchase them, at the very best prices. Enjoy national ‘celiac’ news, local reviews and non-stop gluten-free event notices. The Celiac Scene is your gateway to Gluten-Free Paradise!