University & College Students – enjoy 10% off EVERY DAY with provision of student ID card.
- Some restrictions apply. No discount on sale items.
A bustling market at 3829 Cadboro Bay Road, steps away from the University of Victoria and one of the largest playgrounds in Victoria, shop at Pepper’s Foods for a picnic, a barbecue or the gluten-free foods you need to sustain you week in and week out! A long-time supporter of the Canadian Celiac Association’s Annual Picnic, Pepper’s Foods is the very ‘heart’ of Cadboro Bay!
• Sale on Gluten-Free Items
• Weekly Specials
• Gluten-Free Product List
• Deliveries to Your Door
• 10% Student discount EVERY day!
• 10% Senior’s discount Tuesdays and Wednesdays
What’s New at Pepper’s Foods!
“Any time a local vendor or distributor approaches us with a local product, we’re all ears and open to carrying their product.”
- Scott Zaichkowsky, Assistant Grocery Manager
Gyro Park & Beach at Cadboro Bay
The legendary home of the “Cadborosaurus” sea serpent, Cadboro Bay is a partially protected bay with the kind of long, sandy beaches that make for sublime summer swimming, strolling and boating. The park has a replica of the Cadborosaurus creature, said to be a relative of the Loch Ness Monster. Caddy, as it is known, usually allows itself to be seen once or twice a year. Cadboro Bay’s beaches are well-equipped for family outings with picnic facilities, public washrooms and a children’s playground. Pack a snack from Pepper’s and enjoy!
“A Funky Market and Community Meeting Place in North Saanich!”
Deep Cove Market has been serving celiacs for more than 15 years with the most eclectic selection of gluten-free products that Vancouver Island has to offer. Trust Deep Cove to carry the brands that are impossible to find at major retailers – honouring independent celiac manufacturers who are dedicated to supporting us – one kitchen to another.
A first and last stop shop for locals and tourists alike. Minutes from Schwarz Bay Ferry Terminal as you arrive or a last stop before heading to Vancouver or the Gulf Islands, you’ll be sure to leave with items you won’t find anywhere else.
An ideal destination for a Sunday drive or bicycle trip from Sidney or even Victoria. Be welcomed with wide verandahs, aisles jam-packed with goodies and shaded, picnic seating in a beautifully landscaped garden.
NOTE: While Deep Cove Market offers to make sandwiches with gluten-free bread, the risk of cross contamination with gluten ingredients is high in the close confines of their kitchen.
A Small Business at the Heart of the Community
“The Deep Cove Market is not your typical convenience store. A destination for foodies, it’s a charming country market nestled in North Saanich that has become, through much hard work, a gem of a meeting place for the community.
After the Deep Cove Farm on Wain Road was retired, I wanted to provide locals like myself with a place to meet over breakfast, lunch or lattes and have a place to shop that supports our local farming community. If you want locally raised lamb, beef, poultry and eggs, it’s a place worth visiting. 10 years ago, with no grocery experience whatsoever … more
Deep Cove 10th Anniversary Feature Review in the Peninsula News, March 2015.
“Walk into Deep Cove Market and the first thing you’ll notice is the abundance of smiling faces. With the smell of fresh coffee lingering in the air, the charming wood plank floor and woven baskets of produce capping off the aisles, it’s easy to see why the shoppers are in a good mood. There’s a quaint feeling of discovery that permeates the shop, as though the perfect ingredient is waiting just around the corner. “I’ve tried to offer a lot of organic products and local products. In the summer, we try to have 100 per cent local produce,” she said. “We try to make the choices really interesting, besides regular grocery, we try to have a lot of specialty items just to make it more fun for the consumer.” That includes spending sometimes hours on the internet trying to track down a supplier if a customer has made a special request, said Waddington, always prioritizing local first” … more
Rosemary is a frequent (gluten-free) recipe contributor to Sidney’s Seaside Magazine.
Here are just a few of her best!
Island Dish: Tomato Jam
“What is tomato jam? It’s a thick, intensely tomato-flavoured condiment that is delicious enough to
- spread on your favourite burger (you’ll never use ketchup again)
- serve up on a fresh (gluten-free) baguette
- toast point with cheese
- toss into pasta with some fresh parmesan shavings
- add to your homemade soup to elevate it to a whole new level
- eat it all by itself right out of the jar. It should come with a warning on the label: “highly addictive.”
Island Dish: Summertime Spinach Salad
“I have to be honest here and tell you that this recipe is courtesy of my sister-in-law, Ros Scott. I love this salad for many reasons: it is colourful, quick to prepare, super healthy and the dressing is to die for!
There are a number of ingredients in this recipe that are part of the top 100 healthiest foods list. First of all, we have the fresh local spinach that is readily available at markets this time of year. Spinach is among the top greens for folate, and it contains high amounts of vitamin A, iron, potassium, calcium, zinc, and selenium, which offers antioxidant protection and supports thyroid function.” See recipe here
Island Dish: Spring Fettucine
“When I think of spring, lamb and asparagus come to mind! The Galloping Goose Sausage Co. in Metchosin makes excellent herbed lamb sausages. They are gluten- , MSG- and preservative free. We are fortunate here at the Deep Cove Market to be able to carry fresh asparagus from Raphael at Guités Farm on Oldfield Road. I’m a big fan of easy one-dish meals, so I have combined a number of items I carry here at the Market into one entrée. This dish could easily become gluten free by substituting the pasta with a rice pasta or quinoa. I also think the lemon cooking sauce would pair nicely with chicken if you are not a lamb fan. We carry farm-fresh, free-range, antibiotic-free chicken from Kildonan Farms located right here in North Saanich. I am also a huge lover of Greek food, so I combined the lemon and lamb with peppers, onions and feta. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! ” See recipe …
Chicken Biriyani – a delicious savory rice dish that is loaded with spicy marinated chicken, caramelized onions, and flavorful saffron rice.
DOSA – a cooked flat thin layered rice batter, somewhat similar to a crepe.
PARAGON – a person or thing regarded as a perfect example of a particular quality.
• 735 Yates Street – tucked inside St. Andrew’s Square Building – across from Cineplex Odeon.
• dosaparagon.ca • Facebook • Instagram • Contact • 778.440.2206
• Hours: Tues-Wed-Thurs 11-8:30 • Fri-Sat 11-9 • Sun11-8 • Closed Mondays
Thursday Special – Vegetable Biriyani
• A bold and flavorful Indian rice dish with bell peppers, peas, carrots and potatoes in a spiced rice dish made with turmeric, garam masala and other warm spices.
- DOSA – a crispy savoury rice crepe cooked flat thin layered, made from fermented rice and lentil batter, then filled.
- UTHAPPAM – thick pancake made from rice and lentil batter, with different toppings.
- PAPADUM – a thin crisp disk shaped lentil wafers, made from seasoned black gram flour, either fried or grilled with dry heat.
- VADA – a savoury fried snack from India. It is made from lentils.
- IDLY – a savoury, steamed rice cake very popular in Southern India and Sri Lanka , from Indian subcontinent. . IDLY are made by Steaming a batter consisting of fermented black lentils and rice. Learn more about this super food here.
- SAMBAR – lentils and Vegetables cooked with tamarind and blend of spices.
- INDIAN PICKLE- known as Achar, made from a variety of vegetables & fruits, preserved in brine, vinegar, edible oils and a blend of various Indian spices.
- Click here to view the complete menu.
Victoria Buzz Review by Brishti Basu 1
- On July 8th, Prashant “Bob” Unnikrishnan and his wife Lathika quietly opened the doors to Dosa Paragon, a south Indian restaurant that is one of its kind in Victoria, and perhaps all of Vancouver Island. Unlike other East Indian eateries in town, this restaurant specializes in cuisine local to the south Indian state of Kerala and everything on the menu is made from scratch by the husband-and-wife duo. Bob, who has lived in Victoria for the past 6 years, brings his dishes straight from India after having worked in major cities like Mumbai, Chennai and Bangalore. Before opening Dosa Paragon, he worked as a chef at several restaurants around town including Irish Times Pub, John’s Place, and Varsha Indian Kitchen.
- Some of their highlights include the Masala Dosa (a rice crepe stuffed with spiced potato), their Onion and Cilantro Uthappam (a savoury pancake topped with onion and cilantro), and for meat eaters, an aromatic and flavourful Chicken Biryani (a spiced rice and chicken dish). Of course, no Indian meal is complete without a drink to go with it.
- Those who prefer a cooler beverage may choose the thick, sweet concoction that is their mango smoothie. For those partial to hot drinks, the restaurant offers an authentic ‘masala chai’ or tea flavoured with a mix of spices and herbs.
- While Bob and his wife have done practically nothing to advertise their new restaurant, the small eatery always has a steady stream of customers to keep them busy – a testament to the nearly addictive flavours and aromas emanating from Dosa Paragon. They have been so busy, in fact, that the owners have had to extend their business hours up to 9 p.m. to keep up with the demand.
- “That’s our motivation,” said Bob when asked about how customers have been responding to his restaurant. “We just want to maintain that momentum as our main goal is customer satisfaction.”
Anyone tuned into Vancouver Island’s gluten-free dining scene has heard the call of Union Street Grill & Grotto’s amazing celiac-friendly menu – with its extensive selection of gluten-free appetizers, entrees and desserts.
Union Street Grill’s recipe is simple and effective – provide the Comox Valley with three essential ingredients! Good Food, Good Drinks and Good Times!
Scroll down to view Gluten-Free Menu • View complete menu here.
Reserve: 250-897-0081 • 477 5th Street in Courtenay
SUNDAYS AFTER 5PM: Kids’ meals are $2 off. Seniors receive a 10% discount. Frequent Diners earn double points!
Be sure to tell your server that you are ordering from the Gluten Free Menu. If you have a serious allergy, also let them know. Good, Fresh Food Takes Time!
The serving of tapas is designed to encourage conversation, people are not so focused upon eating an entire meal that is set before them. In some countries, it is customary for diners to stand and move about while eating tapas.
- GF SOUP OF THE DAY – Ask your server.
Cup … $4 Big Bowl … $9 (with a crispy corn tortilla)
- GF VEGAN CHILI – Medium spiced, with lots of beans, corn & roasted vegetables.
Cup … $4 Big Bowl … $9 (with a crispy corn tortilla)
- GF ROASTED GARLIC BEAN DIP – Beans, cilantro, tahini, roasted garlic, olive oil, & lime with crispy corn tortillas & fresh veggies … $8
- GF YAM FRIES & DIP – Crispy yams with our garlic herb mayo … $9
- GF FRIES & DIP – House fries with our garlic herb mayo … $7
- GF SCREAMINGS & DIP – Cajun spiced house fries with our garlic herb mayo … $7
- GF GRILLED CAESAR STARTER – A smaller version of your favorite … $8
- GF SPINACH SALAD STARTER – A smaller version of your favorite … $8
- GF ARTISAN GREENS STARTER – Mixed greens, slaw, zucchini curls, Eatmore sunflower sprouts, & pumpkin seeds. Your choice of dressing … $6
- GF GROTTO QUINOA – Organic herb quinoa, with Artisan greens, olives, cucumbers, tomatoes, feta & balsamic vinaigrette … $10
- GF FRIED OYSTERS – Lightly coasted & fried, drizzled with a sweet chili sauce … $11
- GF SALTSPRING ISLAND MUSSELS – Steamed with peppers & onions in a coconut curry sauce. Served with a corn tortilla … $14
- GF PRAWN TACOS – Corn tortilla cups with romaine, grilled prawns, roasted corn, beans, & chipotle sauce. Served with fresh pico de gallo salsa … $13
- GF FISH TACOS – BBQ rockfish, romaine, sprouts, & cabbage slaw, in Abuelos soft corn chia tortillas with fresh pico de gallo salsa… $13
- GF SCHOONER SQUID – Lightly breaded served with garlic yogurt and fried onions.. $11
- GF PANKO CHICKEN – Crispy fried chicken breast with honey mustard dip … $8
- GF YAM, ROSEMARY & GARLIC PEROGIES – Russet potatoes, yams, rosemary & garlic stuffed perogies. Served with a cucumber dill sour cream … $12
- GF PORK RIBS – Our balsamic marinated pork ribs with sweet chili sauce … $12
- GF TATAKI TUNA – Local Albacore tuna, seared & served with our sesame wasabi sauce & herb corn crisps… $10
- GF THAI PRAWN SALAD – Thai vinaigrette on warm rice noodles with grilled prawns, spinach, julienne peppers, green onions, kale & sprouts … $18
- GF GRILLED CAESAR SALAD – Charbroiled romaine hearts, house dressing, & shaved parmesan … $15
– Add BBQ Chicken … $7
– Add BBQ Rockfish … $5
– Add BBQ Tuna … $8
- GF CHARBROILED CHICKEN SALAD – BBQ fresh chicken breast, served hot on Artisan greens with almonds, & our signature honey yogurt dressing… $17
- GF PORK N‘ FETA – Thinly sliced BBQ pork, served hot, over Artisan greens with feta & honey yogurt dressing… $17
- GF QUINOA AVOCADO SALAD – Grilled romaine heart, fresh avocado, grilled peppers, zucchini curls, slaw, Eatmore sprouts, feta & balsamic vinaigrette on organic herb quinoa … $15
– Add Walnut Mushroom Patty … $5
– Add BBQ Chicken … $7
- GF SPINACH SALAD – Mushrooms, sundried tomatoes, artichoke hearts, shaved parmesan & honey yogurt dressing… $11
– Add BBQ Rockfish … $5
– Add BBQ Chicken … $7
- Salad Dressings
– Spicy Thai Vinaigrette
– Balsamic Vinaigrette
– Honey Yogurt
– BBQ Pork Slices
– BBQ Chicken Breast
– BBQ Rockfish
– Grilled Prawns
– Grilled Red Peppers
– Walnut Mushroom Patty
– House-made gravy
Tostadas are served on a crispy corn tortilla. Comes with Soup, Vegan Chili, Fries, Screamings or Greens. Sub GF Grilled Caesar or Yam Fries … $2.00
- GF OYSTER TOSTADA – Crispy fried oysters, lettuce, tomatoes, sprouts, & cucumber dill sour cream … $16
- GF MONTEREY TOSTADA – BBQ beef burger, back bacon, Monterey Jack cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, sprouts & garlic herb mayo … $16
- GF GREEK LAMB TOSTADA – BBQ lamb patty, lettuce, tomatoes, feta, sprouts & cucumber dill sour cream … $16
- GF CHICKEN TOSTADA – BBQ chicken breast, grilled peppers, Monterey Jack cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, sprouts & chipotle mayo … $16
- GF BBQ PORK TOSTADA – Thinly sliced BBQ pork, shredded romaine, cabbage slaw, feta & garlic yogurt … $14
- GF TUNA TOSTADA – Seared local Albacore tuna, lettuce, tomatoes, Monterey Jack cheese, sprouts, & sweet wasabi sauce. Topped with pickled ginger … $15
- GF CRISPY ROCKFISH TOSTADA – Lightly fried Panko rockfish, lettuce, tomatoes, sprouts, & cucumber dill sour cream …$16
- GF WALNUT MUSHROOM TOSTADA – Our own famous vegetarian burger made with roasted walnuts, mushrooms & garbanzos, topped with sautéed mushrooms, lettuce, tomatoes, sprouts, & garlic herb mayo … $15
- GF PORK & ONION TOSTADA – Thinly sliced BBQ pork, lettuce, tomatoes, grilled red onion, sprouts, & dijonnaise honey yogurt … $15
- GF BARBEQUED STEAK TOSTADA – our famous charbroiled AAA 6oz sirloin, with sautéed mushrooms & onions … $18
GF ROCKFISH TOSTADA – BBQ rockfish, shredded romaine, cabbage slaw, sprouts, & cucumber dill sour cream … $14
LUNCH UNTIL 5:00
Pastas served with GF fusilli and a corn tortilla. Comes with Soup, Vegan Chili, Fries, Screaming’s or Greens. Sub GF Grilled Caesar or Yam Fries … $2.00
- GF LITTLE ITALY – Gluten-free fusilli with fresh spinach, tomatoes, kalamata olives, green onions & garlic in extra virgin olive oil with feta … $13
– Add Chorizo Sausage … $4
– Add Chicken ..$4
- GF SAUSAGE SICILIAN – Gluten-free fusilli, chorizo sausage, artichokes, green onions, sundried tomatoes & roasted garlic in extra virgin olive oil, with shaved parmesan …$14
- GF GRILLED PRAWN FUSILLI – Baked with green onions, edam, mozza & mushrooms in a prawn bisque cream sauce … $15
- GF CHICKEN MILANO – Gluten-free fusilli, mushrooms, green onions, & tomatoes in a garlic cream sauce with shaved parmesan… $14
- GF MAC & CHEESE – Gluten-free fusilli pasta, butternut yam sauce with lots of cheese … $15
- GF ROCKFISH AVOCADO – Gluten-free fusilli, rockfish, avocado, & tomatoes in a garlic cream sauce with shaved parmesan … $14
- GF CHORIZO FUSILLI – Gluten-free fusilli tossed with chorizo sausage, green onions, mushrooms, & roasted garlic in a tomato sauce with shaved parmesan … $14
- GF SPINACH CHEESE OMELETTE – Fresh spinach, edam, & mozza. Served with fresh pico de gallo salsa … $13
– Add Avocado … $2
– Add Back Bacon … $2
- GF FISH’N’CHIPS – Lightly fried panko rockfish with house made fries, garlic herb slaw, and cucumber dill sour cream …$14
DINNER AFTER 5:00
All GF pastas come with a crispy corn tortilla
- GF CHICKEN & CHORIZO – Fusilli pasta, roasted chicken, chorizo, green onions, mushrooms, & roasted garlic in a tomato sauce with shaved parmesan. … $19
- GF ROCKFISH AVOCADO – Fusilli pasta, rockfish, avocado & tomatoes in a garlic cream sauce with shaved parmesan. … $19
- GF LITTLE ITALY – Fusilli tossed with fresh spinach, fresh tomatoes, kalamata olives, green onions & garlic in extra virgin olive oil with feta … $18
– Add Chorizo Sausage …$4
- GF SAUSAGE SICILIAN – Fusilli, chorizo sausage, artichokes, green onions, sundried tomatoes & roasted garlic in extra virgin olive oil, with shaved parmesan … $20
- GF CHICKEN MILANO – Fusilli, mushrooms, green onions, & fresh tomatoes in a garlic cream sauce with shaved parmesan … $19
- GF MAC & CHEESE – Fusilli pasta, butternut yam sauce with lots of cheese … $19
- GF WEST COAST SHELLFISH FUSILLI – Fresh local rockfish, clams, mussels & prawns steamed in a prawn bisque cream sauce with spinach & shaved parmesan … $24
- GF JAMBALAYA BOWL – A Creole classic; fresh local clams, mussels & prawns in a fire roasted tomato cream sauce with chorizo, chicken, peppers & onions, over brown rice … $23
- GF THAI STIRFRY BOWL – Peppers, onions, mushrooms, cabbage, broccoli, kale, edamame, & sprouts, stir-fried in our sesame Thai sauce, over rice noodles … $17
– Add BBQ Chicken … $7
– Add BBQ Pork … $5
- GF CURRY BOWL – Peppers, onions, cabbage, carrots, kale, edamame, sprouts, sautéed, in a rich, spicy, coconut curry sauce, over brown rice … $14
– Add Charbroiled Chicken … $5
– Add Grilled Prawns … $7
- GF BAKED OYSTERS – Lightly fried oysters on a bed of spinach with a herb cream sauce, baked with edam & mozza. Served with brown rice or lemon herb quinoa & Artisan greens … $20
- GF BBQ STEAK & PRAWNS – Charbroiled AAA 6 oz sirloin served on butternut yam potato mash or lemon herb quinoa & Artisan greens … $25.00
- GF BALSAMIC PORK RIBS – Baked in a house-made balsamic BBQ sauce, served on butternut yam potato mash or lemon herb quinoa & Artisan greens … $22
- GF UNION STREET CHEESECAKE – Choice of sauce … $8
- GF CARAMEL PECAN SQUARE – Sundried cranberries … $8
- GF CHOCOLATE DEATH TORTE – You won’t believe it … $9
- GF FRUIT COBBLER – Apples, mixed berries, and cinnamon … $8
- GF CREME BRULEE – Bing cherry sauce … $9
- GF PREMIUM SUNDAE – Choice of sauce … $6
- GF LEMON SORBET – Raspberry sauce … $6
- GF GROTTO SHAKE – Real ice cream, fruit or syrup … $6
- GF CRISPY BAR – Toasted krispies, real butter … $2
- GF COOKIE – Not just another chocolate chip cookie … $2
A must-visit destination for anyone who loves fabulous baking – full stop!
(Closed Sundays, Mondays & Stat Holidays)
Wild Poppy serves savoury breakfasts and light lunches with soup, baguettes and everything you could ask for in a deli – all from documented to be gluten-free, peanut-free ingredients. Nut-free and vegan options available.
Find Wild Poppy just one quick block off the Trans Canada Highway 1 in Ladysmith – turn left at the Buller Street lights. Click here for map.
Hours: Tues-Fri 8-5 Sat 8-4 Closed Sundays, Mondays & Stat Holidays • 250-924-8696
Testimonial: “We had Madeline’s cousin visiting from Halifax for a couple weeks. When we toured them up to Chemainus/Ladysmith all eight of us (one celiac) enjoyed a delicious meal at Wild Poppy. We had to have take out as the restaurant was full. Wonderful to see.”
As co-owners of the Old Town (Wheat) Bakery at 510 1st Avenue in Ladysmith, Vancouver Island, Kate Cram and husband Geoff could easily be considered local celebrities! As an ‘Associate with the Culinary Institute of America‘ who also undertook to certify as a Red Seal Baker in Canada, Kate is truly baker’s baker!
Two children later, Kate and Geoff’s young sons began to experience persistent health issues that had them resorting to a gluten-free diet in search of relief. The improvement was nothing short of remarkable and a heads up to Kate that gluten may be taking a toll on her own health. The couple found themselves at a professional and personal cross roads with Kate contemplating the end of a career she loved, and their children unable to set foot within the family business.
That’s how Wild Poppy Bakery and Bistro was born!
The Celiac Scene™ is your premier resource for fabulous gluten-free living in Victoria, Vancouver Island & the Gulf Islands. Owned & operated by celiacs, we guide you to restaurants we trust and local gluten-free products we love! We even tell you where to purchase them, at the very best prices. Enjoy national ‘celiac’ news, local reviews and non-stop gluten-free event notices. The Celiac Scene is your gateway to Gluten-Free Paradise!