How do restaurants qualify to appear on The Celiac Scene?
- They offer a gluten-free menu?
- They place gluten-free notations next to menu items?
- No one has ever gotten sick from their gluten-free meals?
- They paid to appear on the site?
No, no, no and definitely no!
There is no gluten-free certification process for restaurants in Canada.
- Appearing on this resource means that chefs and servers have survived repeated gluten-free grillings from local celiacs:
- How to Negotiate Safe and Delicious Gluten-Free Meals
- And that they actually delivered on their gluten-free promise – to a celiac’s digestive standards.
Victoria and Vancouver Island’s amazing gluten-free community and a phenomenal set of local restauranteurs have collaborated to create the celiac-friendliest dining scene in Canada, if not all of North America! And the recommendations just keep on coming! Here are the latest:
From Eric: Shine Cafe on Fort
“A pic from our Shine Brunch yesterday. Gluten-free Eggs Benny on Glutino muffin! They did not disappoint!!” 1548 Fort St (250) 595-2133
From Dawn and George: Vic’s Steakhouse in Harbour Towers Hotel
“We are returning to Victoria in July and I’m so happy we’ll be enjoying dinner again at Vic’s Steakhouse … majority of their entrees are gluten free! I even had their Thanksgiving turkey dinner last October. Love this restaurant!” 345 Quebec St 250-385-2405
From Lynda: Sea Glass Waterfront Grill, Van Isle Marina
“We’ve dined here for breakfast, lunch and dinner! Fabulous! Best patio ever!” 2320 Harbour Road, Sidney 778-351-3663
From Jane: Surly Mermaid in Sidney
“So many fresh and creative combinations! So great to be able to mix and match really delicious gluten-free options with friends!” 9851 Seaport Pl 778-351-1544
New to the diet? New to town? Shy to dine alone – gluten free? Join Victoria’s Gluten-Free Foodies
With over 80 gluten-free meet ups under our belts, you can add a new restaurant – and possibly a new gluten-free friend – to your repertoire! ! Gluten-eaters also welcome to attend!