Wescana Foods has come up with a recipe for pliable tortillas that you can enjoy warm from the skillet, loaded with your favorite filling. For those who cannot tolerate xanthan gum, this is an added bonus!
⬇️ Scroll down for a list of carrying retailers or purchase ONLINE ⬇️
- 3 cups Wescana Organic Whole Grain Oat Flour
- 3 cups water
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Combine the oat flour, water and salt in a bowl. Stir well until you no longer see lumps in the mixture with a whisk. The batter will be thin.
- Let the batter sit for about 10 minutes to thicken. Check the consistency – should be like a very thin pancake mix. Add 1-2 tablespoons of water if needed.
- While you are waiting for the batter to thicken, preheat a large non-stick skillet over medium low heat. Once the batter is thickened, turn the heat up closer to medium.
- Spray the skillet with olive oil and add ½ cup of batter.
- Spread the batter out into a thin, uniform consistency. Tilt the skillet around and spread out the batter with the back of a silicone spatula.
- Once a thin tortilla has been made, let the tortilla cook for 3-4 minutes. If it seems ready to flip, flip it and cook another 3-4 minutes. Flip it again to slightly brown the first side (1-2 minutes) then flip again to brown the second side (1-2 minutes).
- Transfer to a plate and continue until all the oat tortillas have been made.
Wescana Oats are grown and manufactured according to Avena Purity Protocol* standards in Saskatchewan.
All of their oat products are GFCP Certified Gluten-Free (to 5ppm) , non-GMO & Kosher and are available as Rolled Oats, Steel Cut Oats and Quick Oats.
Wescana also offers a parallel line of oats that are Eco-Cert Organic in Steel Cut, Rolled Oats, Quick Oats & Oat Flour.
Wescana is proud to be the only purveyour of gluten-free, organic oat bran! Bravo!
Find all of Wescana’s products in 1kg bags at retailers across Alberta, BC and on Vancouver Island. Scroll down for retailer list.
* Avena Purity Protocol starts with seed selection and incorporate a system of checks and balances from the field, to delivery and milling. This allows oats to remain gluten-free. Partnerships with farmers are key to these protocols, as are seed stock purity and criteria for growing, harvesting, transporting, storing and processing oats.
Wescana Foods chooses to source its oats from Avena Foods to ensure that they meet the following requirements:
- Gluten-free and allergy-friendly (free of all labeled allergens)
- Clean and clear label
- Fully traceable from farm to finished product
- Certified organic or conventional
- Ready-to-cook (RTC) or ready-to-eat (RTE) with a validated kill-step
- Lot numbers
- Certificate of Analysis (COA)
About Wescana Foods
Randy Sihota founded Wescana Foods after seeing a gap in the market for high-quality gluten-free oats at a reasonable price point.
Randy started Wescana with the hopes of bringing great oats from the prairies to homes across Canada.
Alongside Randy, is his daughter Kamryn, a university student hoping to follow in the steps of her father, and provide the people of Canada with good whole foods packed full of nutrients, in this world of over-processed food we live in today.
By supporting Wescana, you are supporting a small family business with the goal of giving all access to healthy food. Wescana has allowed Randy to deepen the connections he has with friends and colleagues, as well as his family. Learn more …