Imagine! Authentic Mexican, gluten-free, organic corn tortillas made fresh and by hand on Vancouver Island! Abuelo’s corn tortillas are produced with pride in the Comox Valley from carefully selected, non-GMO corn flour and tested well water in a 100% gluten-free facility.
Now you can use them to make Chilaquiles
Pronounced chee-luh-key-lays, chilaquiles is a traditional Mexican breakfast made with tortilla chips simmered in sauce. The chips soak up some of the sauce and become a little tender. Fresh toppings, including cilantro, radish or onion, crumbled cheese and oftentimes, fried eggs, make this chip-based dish more of a complete meal.
- 4 cups of Abuelo’s Tortilla Chips (or Abuelo’s Mini Chippies)
- 1 cup of water
- 1/2 cup of sauce (we used “La Costeña Rachera Sauce” but you can make it with your favorite Mexican sauce: red, green, pico de gallo, etc. The chilaquiles will be delicious no matter what, if they’re made with what you like)
- 1/2 cup of cooked chickpeas (drained)
- 1/2 cup of cooked black beans (drained)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- In a pot, combine water, sauce, salt, & pepper. Make sure to stir it well.
- Set the the temp to medium-high, and turn it down to medium as soon as it’s boiling.
- Add 3 cups of chips, 1/2 a cup at a time, and gently stir, to ensure all the chips are soaking up the sauce.
- Add the cooked chickpeas and beans, and (very gently) combine everything.
- At this point, you can modify it and make it your own! (Add spinach, cooked veggies, tofu, kale, etc.)
- Add the remaining cup of chips, and once again, gently combine everything.
- Remove it from the heat, cover it, and let it sit for a few minutes before serving it.
That’s it! 🎉 Your chilaquiles are ready! Enjoy 💕
Abuelo’s Tortilla Chips are hand-cut tortillas, flavored with real beets, garlic or habenaro chilies for a taste experience like no other. Other brands pale in comparison.
In spring and summer, catch them on some Saturday mornings at the Comox Farmer’s Market or at demos across Vancouver Island to purchase special tortilla chip flavors (cinnamon) or salsa verdes so fresh – and without preservatives – that no retailer can stock them!
Enjoy Abuelo’s Corn Tortillas and Tortilla Chips at these establishments:
COMOX VALLEY, CAMPBELL RIVER, AND SURROUNDING ISLANDS.
* Edible Island (Courtenay)
* Atlas Cafe (Courtenay)
* Avenue Bistro (Comox)
* Land & Sea Brewing (Comox)
* Phat Parrot (Comox)
* Union St. Grill & Grotto (Courtenay)
* Hen & Hog (Courtenay)
* Seeds Natural Food Market (Cumberland)
* Waverley Hotel (Cumberland)
* Biblio Taco (Cumberland)
* THE CUMBERLAND HOTEL 😉
* Roy’s Towne Pub ( Royston)
* Riptide Pub (Campbell River)
* Fresh Start Bistro (Campbell River)
* Healthyway Natural Foods (Campbell River)
* Discovery Foods (Black creek & Willow Point)
* Yellow Dog Trading (Quadra)
* Cortes Natural Food Co-Op (Cortes)
* Cortes Market (Cortes)
* Hornby Island Co-Op (Hornby)
* Denman Island General Store (Denman)
* Sointula Co-Op (Sointula)
* Coho Joe (Sointula)
* Chopping Block (Powell River)
* Coveside seafood eatery (Quadra)
BUCKLEY BAY TO VICTORIA.
* Weinberg’s Good Food (Buckley Bay)
* Hub City Fish Market (Qualicum)
* Heaven on Earth (Qualicum)
* Springford Farm Market (Nanoose Bay)
* Pomme Natural Market (Nanaimo)
* Chemainus Health Food Store (Chemainus)
* Wild Poppy Bistro (Ladysmith)
* Old Town Bakery (Ladysmith)
* Community Farm Store (Duncan)
* Nature Spirit Earth Market (Gabriola)
* Fairway Market (Nanaimo)
* The Market Garden (Victoria)
* Niagara Market (Victoria)
* Red Barn Market (All locations in Victoria)
* Market on Millstream (Victoria)
* Market on Yates (Victoria)
* Lifestyle Market (Victoria)
* Local General Store (Victoria)
* SPUD.ca (Victoria)
* Fairway Market (All locations in Victoria)