Find Bake My Day’s fabulous gluten-free tarts, turnovers, pies, sausage rolls and spanakopita at Duncan Farmer’s Market.
- April – October: every Saturday from 9 am to 2 pm
- First Saturday after Thanksgiving to March: every Saturday from 10 am to 2 pm
- Closed: first two Saturdays after Christmas Eve.
NEW! Chicken Pot Pies and Curry Hand Pies. Only available at market appearances. Call ahead for special orders 250-748-8450
Enjoy these sumptuous delicacies on the spot and / or purchase ready-to-bake versions to take home and savor, warm from your own oven. Dale’s pie shells and groundbreaking, ready-to-roll puff pastry dough let you become the gluten-free chef you’ve always wanted to be. Ask about their dairy-free options.
- Outlet Store at 3030 Dogwood Road, Duncan (Tuesday to Saturday 7am to 3pm)
- Vancouver Island – Order Online for Delivery or Pickup
- Complete Market & Craft Fair Schedule …
- Carrying retailers, restaurants and cafés …
Bake My Day has informed us that the best way to get their products locally is through the Cow Op.
Bake My Day is now listed with the Cowichan Co-op Marketplace (Cow-op). Order online and pick up your selection at central locations.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
- Order online from Friday 12pm to midnight Monday (PST) via http://www.cow-op.ca. All the orders at this time are being delivered to homes. Please see their web site for more details.
- New! Bike delivery in downtown Duncan. Learn more here.
Here’s an update from Cow-Op (April 2, 2020)
In light of the current COVID 19 Pandemic Cow-op.ca is taking responsibility to promote the highest standards of hygiene possible.
To enable our community to truly self-quarantine to keep Cow-op.ca staff & volunteers safe – WE HAVE CLOSED OUR REGULAR COWICHAN VALLEY CUSTOMER PICKUP POINTS –
For the time being the Cowichan Valley sub-period has moved to a 100% home delivery system.
VICTORIA ORDERS WILL STILL BE DELIVERED TO ZERO WASTE EMPORIUM. Cowichan Valley customers, please see the instructions as follows:
1. Add one of the Home Delivery Products relative to your delivery location (at the top of our online store) to your shopping cart.
2. Change your pickup location to the “Home Delivery – Location” that matches the catchment area of your home address. You can do this by going into your account settings (click the little person icon on the top right if your screen) > Account Information > Default Distribution Location Dropdown.
3. Ensure that the address on your customer account is the correct address for your grocery delivery.
- Dale says, “Our products are still available through the bakery in Duncan, but please order ahead by phone 250-748-8450 or by email at [email protected] so that your order can be prepared and ready at the door.”
Puff Pastry Tips from Dale!
- “If you have time, it’s best to thaw puff pastry overnight in the fridge.
- If you don’t have time, thaw it on the counter until it’s pliable enough to unfold without cracking, but still cool to the touch. Keep a close eye on it — if the dough feels very limp, refrigerate it for 30 minutes to help it firm up again.
- One of the biggest mistakes you can make is leaving it on the counter for too long. A room-temperature atmosphere will cause the puff pastry to wilt and become floppy. That, in turn, will make the layers stick, and render it almost impossible to work with. If your puff pastry gets too soft, return it to the fridge for 20 to 30 minutes before moving forward.
- Lightly roll out the puff pastry: Dust the top of the puff with just a little GF flour, then use a rolling pin to lightly roll. Puff pastry should be rolled out to approx. 4-5 mm depth.
- Follow any puff pastry recipe, remembering that ALL pastry (gluten-free or not) bakes off flakiest when chilled for a short time before baking in a hot oven ie 10-15 min in freezer first after making your ‘creation.’
- If you’re making a filled pastry, like a pot pie, for example, cut a few vents in the dough so hot air can escape and circulate as it bakes. If you skip this step, and you’ll have a soggy interior.
- We generally egg wash pastry before baking to give it that yummy golden colour
- A very general rule for baking the puff pastry is the following – bear in mind that oven temperatures vary.
- Set the oven to 200° C (400° F – gas 6) and bake in the middle of the oven for 20 minutes to 25 minutes. Check after 20 minutes as it’s easy to burn the edges from cooking for too long.
- Scraps can be gathered up and be reused. Make sure that scraps are layered on top of each other – not scrunched up into a ball, before re-rolling.”
Ready to Eat!
Ready to Bake!