Celiac Disease Foundation medical experts have developed a list of best practices to assure optimal care for adults diagnosed with celiac disease.
- This includes regular physician visits and counseling with a dietitian expert in celiac disease and the gluten-free diet.
- Long-term follow-up care is needed to assure patient compliance and positive health outcomes.
- Unfortunately, most internists and family practice doctors will not be familiar with the newly recommended post-diagnosis treatment protocol.
Why does it matter?
Patients with celiac disease who do not adhere to a strict, gluten-free diet have been found to have an increased mortality risk, and report poorer quality of life. They often have significant nutritional deficiencies and are at an increased risk for associated autoimmune disorders, other serious conditions, and cancers.
- View the checklist here: https://celiac.org/celiac-disease/resources/adult-celiac-disease-follow-checklist or scroll down below.
- Printer-friendly version here.