Ever wondered how to make a gluten-free gingerbread house? Which laundry soap to use on a celiac’s sensitive skin? How to make gluten-free sausage rolls? Whether a certain restaurant is celiac-friendly? Please proceed directly to the Visitor Post on the left hand side of The Celiac Scene’s Facebook Page. If we cannot answer your question, our faithful gluten-free followers surely will. We have a treasure trove of knowledge right under our noses – see examples below. While we have you, do you have an answer for, “Looking for a good salt dough recipe for making Christmas ornaments?” 🙂
Need ideas! My celiac daughter is coming home from university, and I’m making “make ahead meals” for her to take back to her apt. I’m thinking chicken and veggies, in packs, but anyone have good idea for me?
- Jennifer: Shepherd’s pie, spaghetti sauce, lentil soup, black bean soup, and chili are some of my freezer go-tos.
- Shelley: Pizza, fried rice, crustless mini quiches, pad Thai (all without the noodles). Those are easy to do later.
- Lindsay: Soups freeze and reheat well. Eggplant lasagna, shredding chicken that she can add to salad or make tacos out of.
- Jody: Rolled pizza lasagna. She can just take a frozen roll out put some sauce on, bake it.
- Kathleen: My mom did this for me one year. It was a huge help. I was living in residence but couldn’t eat in the meal hall, so I microwaved all of her meals. She made african peanut soup a lot, sweet and sour meatballs, roast beef thinly sliced and stored in freezer.
- Thank you all….roast and chicken in oven now…cooking all day tomorrow! Thanks for some ideas…meatballs and rice, roast and veggies and garlic mashed, chicken veggies and sweet potatoes, jamaican jerk pork, veggies and sweet potatoes. All getting ready to go back to University with my Celiac Daughter!! Feeling helpful!
Does anybody know of anybody on the mainland/Fraser Valley (I’m in Port Moody) who might produce kits for GF gingerbread houses? My daughter’s school decorates them every year, and this will be her first Christmas since diagnosis, so keen for her to feel as normal as possible. Thanks in advance!
- Tracy: they do gingerbread or the graham cracker ones? My kids’ school does the graham cracker ones and you can get gf grahams. The only issue is they are more rectangle than square but you can still get a decent looking house out of them. The crackers are called smorables.
- Julie: someone in another group suggested Cloud 9 or Pikanik so I’ll have a look at their websites
- Renee: Last year we did a gf graham cracker campground lol the long thin gluten free graham crackers worked better that way. Then we smoke and mirror with lots of great candy and everyone is happy lol.
- Linda: Sweet Tooth Cakery in North Van has the decorated gf gingerbread houses, or the kits if you want to put them together yourself.
Does anyone in Victoria have dining experience at The Blue Poppy restaurant at Butchart Gardens?
- Jennifer: I actually spent considerable time talking to the manager when we were looking at hosting my daughter’s birthday here. He had extensive talks with his chef and staff and did not feel comfortable guaranteeing a gluten free experience for someone with celiac disease. This was last spring. Please let me know if you learn something different.
Can anyone tell me if the Utility Turkeys sold at Walmart are Gluten free?? I can’t seam to find an answer online.