QUESTION: “What is the best place to buy bulk ingredients for gluten-free baking (tapioca flour, xanthum gum, potato starch and rice flour) in Victoria? My daughter was recently diagnosed and I’m looking for large quantities of each. Is there a wholesale outlet for such things? TIA”
ANSWER: The Celiac Scene encourages gluten-free shoppers to consider the following:
• What information does the retailer provide about the source of dried fruit, nuts, legumes and/or flours in bulk bins?
• Are bin contents inherently gluten free, manufactured in a faculty that also handles wheat or processed in a dedicated gluten-free facility?
• How diligent is the carrying retailer in sourcing products that are not cross contaminated in manufacturing or packaging?
• How does the retailer ensure that there is no possibility of cross-contamination issue between bins?
• How are store staff trained in preventing cross contamination when filling, moving bins?
• Do store staff change their gloves, aprons, scoopers between filling/moving bins gluten and gluten-free bins?
For the largest selection of dried fruit, nuts, legumes, flours and baking ingredients in Victoria, if not all of British Columbia, visit the Gluten-Free Department of Lifestyle Markets on Douglas Street.
Known as the first-stop-shop for anyone new to the diet or new to town, Lifestyle Markets offers the most comprehensive selection of gluten-free flours and baking ingredients in British Columbia. Enjoy carefree shopping in Victoria’s first – and largest – dedicated gluten-free department, take in a complimentary Gluten-Free Tasting or visit Lifestyle Markets’ sister stores on Cook Street or Lifestyle Select in Sidney
Wish you could try before you buy pricey gluten-free food? Here’s your chance! Join Ellen Bayens of The Celiac Scene for a fun and informative taste extravaganza! Second and fourth Saturday of every month Lifestyle Markets on Douglas Street between 12 and 2 pm. Look for Ellen’s smile in the Gluten-Free Department. No diagnosis or RSVP required.