My daughter and son-in-law came to visit this past Christmas with news that they were both following the keto diet. As any good host / mom / mother-in-law would do, I jumped in to research the diet.
What is the Keto Diet?
- A keto or ketogenic diet is a very low-carb diet, which can help you burn fat more effectively. Many people have already experienced its many proven benefits for weight loss, health and performance. dietdoctor.com 1
What Does the Keto Diet Look Like?
I was delighted to learn that the keto diet is largely a gluten-free diet. That would absolutely work for me – a celiac – and my dedicated gluten-free home.
What to Avoid on the Keto Diet?
High-carb foods containing a lot of sugar, starch or just too many calories.
Gluten-Free Keto Recipes I Love
While my daughter and son-in-law are on the diet to lose weight, I was excited by the recipes I found on the internet – all gluten-free and very delicious. To my surprise, the keto pizza crust and pancake recipes tasted better than many of the ones I had been making with gluten-free flours. Here are links to my favourite recipes. I invite you to give them a try!
- This 90 second bread is keto, low carb and gluten free. It has a lovely spongy texture that readily soaks up butter, honey or jam
- Fluffy and delicious, this Cloud Bread (sometimes referred to as Oopsie Bread) is the perfect substitute for your favorite burger or sandwich.
- These bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers are creamy, spicy and loaded with cheese. The perfect party appetizer!
- An enticing mash-up of creamy cheese, hearty tomato sauce, seasoned ground beef, garlic and onions. The ultimate comfort food.
- This stir-fry has a telling nickname: crack slaw. Yes, it really is that good! Easy to make. Amazingly tasty. No wonder people find it addicting!
- Mouthwatering. So satisfying. All your favorite pizza flavors, layered on top of a crunchy, cheesy, keto crust that you can eat with your fingers!
- These 6-ingredient keto low carb pancakes are made with almond and coconut flour. So easy, fluffy, and delicious. Paleo, too!
1 Learn all about the keto diet at dietdoctor.com/
Links I Like
- Ketosis in Victoria
- Keto Victoria Facebook Group
- Keto Victoria Meet Up
A special thank you to my friend Shirley who unbeknownst to me, had been on a gluten-free keto diet for three years. She held my hand as I made my first low carb baby steps!