- A Canadian Celiac Podcast explores information, research, lifestyle issues and personal stories of individuals who have celiac disease or non-celiac gluten sensitivity. The host, Sue Jennett accesses the prominent minds and personalities in the celiac/gluten free community across Canada. Sue counts more than 20 years since both she and her daughter have been diagnosed with celiac disease. During that time, Sue has operated a gluten-free bakery, run a celiac kids camp, and is currently producing and hosting a gluten-free baking show on cable TV in Ontario. Join Sue’s weekly conversations, as she delves into all things celiac and gluten free
This Week’s Podcast!
Sue Jennett – speaks about her experiences with her gluten-free bakery and how that led to a gluten-free baking show on cable television. Listen to the podcast here.
Read Sue’s accompanying blog, ‘What Was I Thinking?‘
- Manny Sabares of Only Oats – is a Canadian company that produces gluten-free oats safe for celiacs. They use a strict purity protocol that tracks the farmers, the fields, the seeds, the truck transport and only lets the oat grains into the mill once they have been tested to less than 5ppm of gluten (20 ppm is the gluten free standard). Only Oats is “rolling” out a new line of Certified Organic Gluten-Free Oats that includes Rolled Oats, Quick Oat Flakes and Steel Cut Oats. Listen to the podcast here.
- Tips from CCA Conference Attendees – 2018 conference and Vendor Show attendees share their best tips on living with Celiac Disease and the gluten-free diet. Listen to the podcast here.
- Dr. Donald Duerksen – The National Conference of the Canadian Celiac Association was held in Ottawa on June 9th, 2018. A gastroenterologist in practice for adults in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Dr. Donald Duerksen is the Chair of the CCA’s Professional Advisory Council. Listen as he explains to Sue the tools, tests and knowledge that gastroenterologists use to make a diagnosis of celiac disease. Listen to the podcast here.
- Reflections on the Gluten-Free Garage Trade Show – This episode features the voices and opinions of different people who attended the Gluten Free Garage Food Show in Toronto on May 27, 2018. Listen to the podcast here.
- Ronnilyn Pustil and The Gluten Free Garage – The Gluten Free Garage is a pop-up vendor show featuring a wide variety of gluten free foods and beverages. The event is being held at Artscape Wychwood Barns in Toronto on Sunday, May 27th. Sue has been fortunate to see both sides of vendor shows; as a member of the public visiting the booths, and as a vendor selling and sampling her wares. Here she explores what it takes to stage what has become a very popular annual event. Listen to the podcast here.
- Ellen Bayens of The Celiac Scene Talks About Dining Out – Ellen Bayens is an expert at grilling restaurants about their celiac-friendly options. Listen as Ellen goes down her list of questions to ask! She is best known for her resource The Celiac Scene, supporting the gluten-free living in or traveling to Victoria, Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands. Listen to the podcast here.
- Cathy Brak, Gluten-Free Blogger – Sue speaks to Cathy Brak, a gluten free food blogger with a casual attitude towards meal planning and preparation. Whether you need to spice up your meals, or just plan them better, Cathy gives us some great tips and they are all gluten free! Listen to the podcast here.
- Selena De Vries, Celiac Dietitian – Sue speaks to this Registered Dietitian about eating gluten free and being overweight. It’s very common, but we seldom speak about it. We try so hard to make sure we are eating completely gluten free, that having to concern ourselves about counting calories or sugar or fat, just seems too much to ask. Most of us try to replace our gluten-laden foods with gluten-free ones, but what is that actually doing to our diet? Listen to the podcast here. www.healthbean.ca
- Children’s Author Margie Wirth – Sue speaks with author Margie Wirth who, along with her sister wrote, illustrated a series of cookbook/colouring books to help kids eat more vegetables. You can follow Margie on Facebook at The Carrot Monster’s Gluten-Free Recipes. The books are available on Amazon. Listen to the podcast here.
- Cathline James of Wise Bites – Sue speaks with the owner/operator of Wise Bites Gluten-Free Quinoa Treats about the unique challenges of bringing a top-allergen free product to market and why she does it. Learn more at www.wise-bites.com. Listen to the podcast here.
- Mark Johnson and the CCA Conference – The CCA National Conference is in Ottawa on June 9th this year. Join Sue’s conversation with Mark Johnson to get the latest information on what’s going on at the conference and how to register. I also announce how the podcast is going to make an appearance. Listen to the podcast here.
- Sue Jennett shares what she learned at the recent Restaurant Show in Toronto about the state of gluten free in the restaurant industry. We’ll also hear from the gluten-free producers who were pitching their products to the restaurant and food service companies in attendance. Listen to the podcast here.
- Shelley Case, RD – a well-known Dietitian and international expert on all aspects of the gluten-free diet, Shelley and Sue discuss labelling laws in Canada and the US to help you determine the safety of packaged foods. They also talk about the safety of gluten-free oats. Listen to the podcast here.
- Donna Washburn and Heather Butt – Sue has known these two cookbook authors for many years. They have a special connection since their very first gluten-free cookbook. Join her conversation with two old friends about their recent and final gluten-free cookbook – 100 Classic Gluten-Free Comfort Food Recipes. We talk about their recipes choices and how they go about testing the recipes. Listen to the podcast here.
- Sherry Scheideman, Celiac Counsellor – Celiac Disease has many sides, and on this Episode, Sue speaks with Sherry Scheideman, Registered Clinical Counsellor and diagnosed celiac about coping with many of the mental and social aspects that go along with a diagnosis. Sherry gives us some great coping strategies. Listen to the podcast here.
- Jerry Bigham of Kinnikinnick – Jerry takes us behind the process into how they come up with new products and what they’re working on next. There is a big shift in the direction of gluten free/allergen free and Jerry tells us how they are working to serve both markets. Listen to the podcast here.
- Melanie Laroque of Whisked Bakery in Toronto – Melanie talks about the recent award they have won, and takes us behind the bakery case as we discuss some of the issues unique to a dedicated gluten free bakery. Listen to the podcast here.
- Christina Varro – is a celiac and an avid traveller. She has travelled and navigated eating gluten free in more than 25 countries worldwide. She is a photographer and a wealth of knowledge about many different aspects of travel. Follow her on ChristinaVarro.com. Listen to the podcast here.
- Ellen Bayens, The Celiac Scene – Ellen has worked tirelessly to provide quality information on places to eat and buy great gluten free food on Vancouver Island. In addition, her website features carefully researched information on chain restaurants both in Canada and the United States. She presents comprehensive information on places to eat, trends and current news about celiac disease and the gluten free diet. Ellen is someone with her finger on the pulse of the celiac/gluten free community. She can be found online at www.theceliacscene.com and from there you can link to her other social media pages. Listen to the podcast here.
- Melissa Secord, Executive Director, Canadian Celiac Association – On my first episode am speaking with Melissa Secord, Executive Director of the Canadian Celiac Association. We talk about the new logo, what’s on the horizon, ongoing benefits for members, and the information on the CCA website. The CCA is also on other media, and we talk about how they are getting their message out to all those concerned with celiac disease and the gluten free diet. Listen to the podcast here.
Please give A Canadian Podcast a like or review on iTunes, or Google Play Music and don’t forget to subscribe so you’ll know when the next episode comes out!
- Listen to all podcasts to date!
- Subscribe for FREE to ‘A Canadian Celiac Podcast’ on iTunes
- Subscribe for FREE to ‘A Canadian Celiac Podcast’ on Google Music Play
- Visit ‘A Canadian Celiac Podcast’ Website
- Follow ‘Sue’s Gluten-Free Baking at Home’
- Follow Sue Jennett on YouTube
- Contact Sue HERE