https://theceliacscene.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/gluten-free-gravy-fb-copy.jpg 357 323 Ellen Bayens /wp-content/uploads/2014/12/TheCeliacSceneLogo-575X156.jpg Ellen Bayens2019-11-07 13:30:192019-11-07 13:38:34Deep & Dark Gluten-Free Gravy by KITCHEN FRAU
Deep & Dark Gluten-Free Gravy by KITCHEN FRAU
Created for Canadian Poutine, this rich brown gluten-free gravy recipe owes it full-bodied flavour to unusual ingredients!
- from KITCHEN FRAU: Real Canadian Poutine 1
- 2 tablespoons cooking fat – butter, ghee, duck fat, pan drippings, or oil
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon celery salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon dry mustard powder
- ¼ teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 3½ tablespoons sweet rice flour *
- 2 cups good quality gluten-free beef broth
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free soy sauce
- Heat the cooking fat and stir in the onion powder, celery salt, garlic powder, dry mustard powder, and pepper. Cook for 30 seconds.
- Stir in the sweet rice flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Gradually pour in the beef broth, stirring constantly. Add the soy sauce. Cook until bubbling and thickened. Taste and add more soy sauce if needed. This gravy should be well-seasoned, so its flavour remains bright even when combined with the fries.
* Note: If you want to make this recipe to use as regular gravy, use only 3 tablespoons of sweet rice flour. Poutine gravy should be a little thicker than normal so it sticks to the fries.
Makes about 2 cups.
Margaret Bose-Johnson has more great recipes on her blog at http://www.kitchenfrau.com.
- 1 https://o.canada.com/opinion/columnists/kitchen-frau-real-canadian-poutine/wcm/6cddfdb1-58f2-4eae-a147-d3c1d74dab55