Pizza Cheese Buns! So easy to make! Perfect recipe for anyone new to gluten free – including kids!
- Cinde Little writes the Everyday Gluten Free Gourmet food blog and teaches cooking classes in Calgary, Alberta where she lives with her husband. Her son is currently attending the University of Victoria. Cinde became interested in gluten free cooking in 2009 after a friend was diagnosed with celiac disease. As a passionate home cook she encourages everyone to just get in the kitchen and cook. Food restrictions are real and learning to accommodate them is an important skill.
Visit www.everydayglutenfreegourmet.ca or follow her on social media:
These Pizza Cheese Buns are my version of Brazilian Cheese Bread with a pizza twist. Made in muffin tins and served with pizza dipping sauce they are a great snack or party food. This recipe is made with tapioca starch so you need to know a bit about this ingredient and the terms used in gluten free baking. Tapioca starch and tapioca flour are exactly the same and the terms are used interchangeably in recipes.
Starches vs Flours
- Tapioca starch and tapioca flour are the same.
- Potato starch and potato flour are NOT the same.
- Cornstarch and corn flour are NOT the same.
- Kitchen Tip – Label your container with both tapioca flour and tapioca starch so over time you remember. Or write this info on a recipe card and tape it to the inside of a kitchen cupboard where you can refer to it.
- 2 cups tapioca starch – divided
- 2 cups mozzarella (about 4oz)
- 1 cup grated Parmesan (about 2 oz)
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 1/3 cup oil
- 2 eggs
- 1st salt
- 1/tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 cup pepperoni + extra slices for garnish
- 1/2 of any pre-cooked pizza toppings, as desired
- 1 cup pizza sauce, for dipping
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a regular size muffin tin with paper or silicone liners (12-count).
- In a blender or food processor add all ingredients. Blend until evenly mixed, about 1 minute. Scrap down the sides as needed and process until evenly mixed.
- Transfer to a bowl and stir in pepperoni and other pizza toppings. (At this point the batter can be kept in the fridge and baked later.)
- Using a portion scoop fill prepared muffin tin with 3-4 tablespoons of batter leaving a bit of room for them to rise during cooking.
- Top each one with a slice of pepperoni if desired.
- Cook in preheated oven 22-24 minutes until slightly brown around the edges and puffed up.
- Place on baking rack and cool for a few minutes. Remove from pan, serve warm with pizza sauce on the side. Makes 12-14 regular size buns.
- Freeze leftover pizza cheese buns in airtight container. Thaw and eat at room temperature or reheat in microwave.
Cinde’s ‘How to Use Gluten-Free Flour’ Series
- How to Use Oat Flour
- Gluten Free Whole Oats vs Quick Oats
- Gluten Free Baking By Weight
- How to Use Rice Flour in Gluten Free Baking
- How To Use Starch in Gluten Free Baking
- How To Use Corn Flour, Cornmeal and Masa Harina
- How To Use Almond Flour and Quinoa Flour
- How To Use Chickpea Flour
- How To Use Millet Flour and Sorghum Flour
- How To Use Teff Flour
- How To Use Buckwheat Flour
- How To Use Coconut Flour
- How To Use Binders in Gluten-Free Baking