Sooke, British Columbia is Vancouver Island’s favorite not-so-secret getaway, offering stunning seas and skies, storm watching and killer whales. Sooke will soon be known for the best celiac-safe dining that the West Coast has to offer – thanks to the efforts of Britt Santowski, Publisher of Sooke.PocketNews.ca!
Britt is to Sooke what The Celiac Scene is to the gluten-free! Author of ‘The Unstoppable Woman,’ celebrated news reporter and union activist, Britt is dedicated to empowering her community with the information they want, need – and deserve! Sound familiar? Read About Britt in 60 Seconds. Scroll down to hear Britt’s interview with Gregor Craigie, On the Island, CBC 90.5FM below.
Grass-roots communities collide. Celiacs and Sookians – we need your help!
One peek at Britt’s Restaurant Page and you will be amazed by this small town’s vibrant dining scene. If you have first-hand knowledge of the celiac-friendliness of any of the businesses listed below, or if you happen to work, manage or own one of these restaurants, The Celiac Scene and Sooke PocketNews would love to hear from you! Contact Ellen or Britt now! Together we want to make ‘your worlds’ the best that they can be!*
- 17 Mile House – Pub Food 5126 Sooke Road
- Buffy’s Pub – Pub Food, Burgers 6858 W Coast Rd
- Cathy’s Corner Cafe – Sandwiches/Wraps, all-day Breakfast 6697 Sooke Road
- Cold Shoulder Cafe – Jordan River
- Coastal Kitchen Cafe – Port Renfrew
- Far Out Pizza – 11940 West Coast Road, Jordan River; 250 646 2982; licensed
- Kemp Lake Store Cafe – American, Breakfast, Burgers 7875 Westcoast Rd
- Lazy Gecko – Mexican #5-6631 Sooke Road
- Mai Mai’s Bistro – Seafood, Japanese, Asian 6676 Sooke Rd
- ML Take Out (SUSHI) – Fresh sushi, bubble team party trays, on Sooke River Road behind the Sooke River Store (on way to Pot Holes). 250.642.7779
- Mom’s Cafe – Dessert, Breakfast 2036 Shields Road
- Parker’s Place Cafe – Burgers, Coffee, Pub Food 4901b E Sooke Rd
- Pizzability Sooke – Pizza 6703 Westcoast Rd
- Point No Point Resort – 10829 West Coast Road, Shirley
- Port Renfrew Pub 17310 Parkinson Road, Port Renfrew (250) 647-5541
- Reading Room Bookstore – Coffee 1360-6660 Sooke Road
- NEW! Route 14 – 6686 Sooke Road, (250)352-1414
- Salmonberry Bistro – Port Renfrew Marina, Port Renfrew
- Serious Coffee – Coffee 104 – 6661 Sooke Rd.
- Smokin’ Tuna Cafe (Seasonally closed) – 241 Becher Bay Rd, East Sooke
- Sooke Harbour House – Seafood, International, Vegetarian 1528 Whiffen Spit Road
- Stick in the Mud Cafe – Coffee, 6715 Eustace Road
- Stickleback – Pub Food, Seafood 5449 Sooke Rd
- Stone Pipe Grill – 2038 Otter Point Road
- Sushi 2 Go – 6250 Sooke Rd
- Teriyaki House – 6250 Sooke Rd, (778) 352-1020
- Tastes of India – Order by phone (see link)
- Tomi’s Home Style Cooking – 17152 Parkinson Road | Box 30, Port Renfrew
- Traveling Smoke Show – Smoked pork (and more!) meat truck
- West Coast Grill – Seafood, Steakhouse 6929 W Coast Rd, at the Prestige
- Wild Mountain Food and Drink -1831 Maple Avenue South in Sooke, BC. (250) 642-3596
- Yen’s Kitchen Chinese Food – 6309 Sooke Road, at The Castle. Call (250) 642-3111.
- Yesaki Wine and Raw Bar – Asian, Japanese 6929 West Coast Rd, at the Prestige
In an era when print-based newspapers are falling like the timber they are printed on (see Nanaimo News), Britt’s Sooke PocketNews is a hyper-local online newspaper that covers all things Sooke, all the time – as it happens. It is everything that one expects of a newspaper – arts & entertainment to wildlife alerts, pre-school story times to job listings – and that most topical – traffic on the Malahat. Sooke PocketNews delivers, ‘Your Town. Your News. Online. Now!’ One more – Free!