Something magical is happening in Victoria and Vancouver Island! Food stands and food trucks are popping up like spring flowers and best of all, they are 100% gluten-free or have a proven track record for accommodating our needs.
What are churros? Think Mexican donuts, only better! A crispy exterior with soft, chewy insides, Jorge uses Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free flour to make them. Deep-fried, then rolled in cinnamon and sugar, topped with your choice of strawberry, chocolate or caramel sauce. Enjoy Marshmallow, Graham Cookie, Chocolate Chips or Whip Cream toppings. If you love ice cream, order the ‘Blizzard!’
Picnic table seating underneath patio canopies. Imagine yourself in Mexico. Plans are in the works for ‘the best cookies ever’ says Jorge, and hot chocolate like you’ve never tasted before.
Everything Taco Revolutions serves is gluten-free, handmade from scratch in house and served with a passion and dedication to deliciousness and authenticity. Enjoy Chorizo Vegetariano to Fish Tacos to Chicken Tinga – all from Mexico’s taco culture.
Read The Celiac Scene’s Full Review Here!
Taco Revolution Website • Instagram • Facebook • Twitter
Find Taco Rev at Red Arrow, Farmer’s Markets, Festivals and Special Events!
Order ahead toll-free 1-833-TACO-REV (1-833-822-6738).
B-glutenfreevictoria is a 100% Gluten-Free European Style Desserts and Artisan Breads.
Enjoy baguettes, bars, biscuits, breads, buns, cinnamon buns, coffee cakes, cookies, croissants, filled pastries, loaves (banana bread & orange cranberry,) muffins, pies, sourdough, and not least of all – mini donuts!
How to order!
A taste of New Zealand in the heart of Vancouver Island! Mix strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, mixed berries, mango or pineapple with ice cream or vegan soft serve in a gluten-free, vegan cone and you have an ‘Ice Dream Come True!’
For years, Jamie Lynn has been obsessed with owning her own ice cream trailer. Lucky for us, she made her dreams – and ours – come true! Catch her before she flies away to chase another dream – obtaining her pilots’s license!
Jamie and her husband Vinny, a heavy-duty mechanic by trade, built the ice cream trailer from scratch, then decorated it with images of beautiful berries. You can’t miss it at Departure Bay Beach in Nanaimo or at a host of special events. Look for the line up!
- Danielle & Ashley made our dreams come true!
- Delicious classic poutines and poutines with a twist! Excellent vegan options!
- Sample Menu
- Find the ‘VIP’ Food Truck by following them on Facebook & Instagram or visit The Celiac Scene’s Events Page.
- Taking bookings for events!
Typically at Comox Valley Marina weekdays and Cumberland on weekends.
- A long-anticipated dream of twin brothers, Devon and Tavis, has finally come to life.
- Born and raised in the Comox Valley, the Shute brothers have worked at some of the Valley’s celiac-friendliest restaurants.
- Rove’s fries are 100% gluten-free except at Hallowe’en when they make deep-fried Mars Bars. They promise to let you know!
- Be advised that Rove does use gluten in its operation, but that most options can be prepared gluten-free. Ask questions about protocol when ordering.
- Check for daily locations & times on Facebook & Instagram
- Find them at special events. Available for catering. 250-897-8064
Seasonal at #12 5th St in front of ‘Courtenay Garage,’ across from Lewis Park – See map
- Twin sisters Janeth & Lorena dared to make their dream come true. Lucky for us, they chose to make it 100% gluten free!
- Pupusa are a traditional dish from El Salvador. Small, round corn cakes similar to a flatbread are made with corn flour (masa) and cooked on a hot griddle. Order them filled with cheese and beans or meat
- Enjoy them with curtido (slaw) and / or salsa roja.
- Check for daily locations & times on Facebook & Instagram
Seasonal – often at Market Square, Lower Courtyard in front of Whistle Buoy Brewing – See map
- Venezuelan Arepas and Patacones. Gluten free – Vegan – Vegetarian – Meat Lover. Enjoy the open air, refreshing drinks and festivities!
- Arepas: unleavened corn meal patties
- Patacones (or tostones) green plantains peeled and cut cross-wise. Deep-fried, think of them as a Venezuelan alternative to french fries!
- The food is as fun as it is delicious: Beach Babe, Black Jack, Blondie, Brunette, The King , Trio. Something for everyone – all gluten free!
- Follow on Facebook or Instagram
- Gluten-free ‘bowls,’ salads and huevos rancheros – NOTE: tortillas & burritos contain wheat flour.
- 2724 Dunsmuir Ave – 250-650-4907 – See map
- Road-side stand at 5225 North Island Highway in Union Bay. See map.
- Typical hours: Fri-Sat-Sun-Mon 8AM – 6PM Closed Tues-Wed-Thurs
- Can also be found at Comox Valley Farmers Market and the Downtown Courtenay Night Market.
Michell Farm Kennebec potatoes, sliced and deep fried! freshly-selected corn, bathed in butter. Heaven on earth!
Pull up to a picnic table at 2451 Island View Road, on the popular Lochside Trail, behind Michel’s Farm. See map.
*Harvest Road offers gluten-free buns for sandwiches, however the kitchen is teensy-weensy with no dedicated area for gluten-free preparations. Celiacs should appreciate that sandwich toppings are sure to be cross-contaminated.
- You knew her in Victoria as ‘Rockn Rolls Modern Sushi’ at Fisherman’s Wharf. Sabrina has risen in Nanaimo at #6 Maki Road (See map)
- Sabrina specializes in sushi, sushito (‘burrito’ wraps made with seaweed!) poke bowls and salads. Enjoy the fresh flavours of Hawaii and Japan, fused with the taste of Latin America. World flavours in many forms. An adventure for your taste buds.
- Sabrina is dedicated to serving ‘clean, fresh food.’ Only three ingredients contain gluten: shrimp tempura, imitation crab & sweet tofu. Not only does Fusion Theory have a proven track record for serving delicious, celiac-safe food, she has a careful protocol in place to prevent cross contamination for vegan, shell-fish allergic and food-sensitive diners. Just let her know upon ordering.
- Typically open Thursday to Sunday 11-6 (or when sold out) Check with her on Instagram • Facebook • Photo Gallery • See menu
- TEXT your order ahead of time: 250-222-9955 to pick up or dine ‘al fresco’ at nearby picnic tables.
- Home base: 3274 3rd St in Cumberland at Cub Space and at Comox Valley Farmer’s Market and at area events. See map.
Injera, a staple of Eritrean-Ethiopian food, is a fermented pancake-like flatbread with a slightly spongy texture. Think moist & flexible on a scale that our community rarely encounters. Injera is made with just two ingredients – teff flour and water. Enjoy them with six slow simmered, flavourful sauces & stews to go with their delicious injera. A rotation of beef, lamb, chicken and on special occasions, goat, Tameet takes care to offer 4 vegan alternatives. Read The Celiac Scene’s full review here.
Karin Koschack has been living and baking exclusively gluten free for more than 10 years. All the ingredients that she uses to bake with are labelled gluten free, or certified gluten free. In other words, her baking is safe for celiacs and delicious!
This season, Karin has been baking Egg Nog Bread Pudding, Cranberry Hazelnut Oatmeal Cookies, Gum Drop Cookies, Yule Cookies and Hot Chocolate Cookies!
Her self-serve trailer is open daily from 10 to 6 at 1847 Miracle Beach Drive – right next door to Miracle Beach Provincial Park. Imagine camping and being able to enjoy fresh gluten-free cookies, muffins & more! Now that’s roughing it!
Message Karin at 778-992-1847 to pre-order, for special orders or to arrange an alternate pick up time. Ask to join her ‘Orange Trailer Roadside’ Group for the latest news! Let’s hear it for the little trailer that could!
- Based on the recommendations of local celiacs. Consider it a guide but not a guarantee of a celiac-safe meal. Always Ask Gluten-Free Questions
- Restaurants Across Vancouver Island that are Ready, Willing and Able to Serve
Gluten-Free Deep-Fried Fish & Chips, French Fries, Yam Fries, Pickles, Poutine and more.