Gluten-Free Events Calendar
If it’s gluten free and happening in Victoria, Vancouver Island or the Gulf Islands, you’ll find it listed here! From tastings to contests, farmer’s markets to food trucks – this is your calendar to Gluten-Free Paradise! Join Victoria’s Gluten-Free Foodies and add a new restaurant – and possibly a new gluten-free friend – to your repertoire!
Thursday, March 19th at 6pm. 735 Yates Street – tucked inside St. Andrew’s Square Building – across from Cineplex Odeon.
RSVP to [email protected]
DOSA – a cooked flat thin layered rice batter, somewhat similar to a crepe.
PARAGON – a person or thing regarded as a perfect example of a particular quality.
Thursday Special – Vegetable Biriyani
- A bold and flavorful Indian rice dish with bell peppers, peas, carrots and potatoes in a spiced rice dish made with turmeric, garam masala and other warm spices.
Friday-Saturday-Sunday Special – Chicken Biriyani
- a delicious savory rice dish that is loaded with spicy marinated chicken, caramelized onions, and flavorful saffron rice.
About South Indian Cuisine
- DOSA – a crispy savoury rice crepe cooked flat thin layered, made from fermented rice and lentil batter, then filled.
- UTHAPPAM – thick pancake made from rice and lentil batter, with different toppings.
- PAPADUM – a thin crisp disk shaped lentil wafers, made from seasoned black gram flour, either fried or grilled with dry heat.
- VADA – a savoury fried snack from India. It is made from lentils.
- IDLY – a savoury, steamed rice cake very popular in Southern India and Sri Lanka , from Indian subcontinent. IDLY are made by Steaming a batter consisting of fermented black lentils and rice. Learn more about this super food here.
- SAMBAR – lentils and Vegetables cooked with tamarind and blend of spices.
- INDIAN PICKLE- known as Achar, made from a variety of vegetables & fruits, preserved in brine, vinegar, edible oils and a blend of various Indian spices.
- Click here to view the complete menu.
Victoria Buzz Review by Brishti Basu 1
- On July 8th, Prashant “Bob” Unnikrishnan and his wife Lathika quietly opened the doors to Dosa Paragon, a south Indian restaurant that is one of its kind in Victoria, and perhaps all of Vancouver Island. Unlike other East Indian eateries in town, this restaurant specializes in cuisine local to the south Indian state of Kerala and everything on the menu is made from scratch by the husband-and-wife duo. Bob, who has lived in Victoria for the past 6 years, brings his dishes straight from India after having worked in major cities like Mumbai, Chennai and Bangalore. Before opening Dosa Paragon, he worked as a chef at several restaurants around town including Irish Times Pub, John’s Place, and Varsha Indian Kitchen.
- Some of their highlights include the Masala Dosa (a rice crepe stuffed with spiced potato), their Onion and Cilantro Uthappam (a savoury pancake topped with onion and cilantro), and for meat eaters, an aromatic and flavourful Chicken Biryani (a spiced rice and chicken dish). Of course, no Indian meal is complete without a drink to go with it.
- Those who prefer a cooler beverage may choose the thick, sweet concoction that is their mango smoothie. For those partial to hot drinks, the restaurant offers an authentic ‘masala chai’ or tea flavoured with a mix of spices and herbs.
- While Bob and his wife have done practically nothing to advertise their new restaurant, the small eatery always has a steady stream of customers to keep them busy – a testament to the nearly addictive flavours and aromas emanating from Dosa Paragon. They have been so busy, in fact, that the owners have had to extend their business hours up to 9 p.m. to keep up with the demand.
- “That’s our motivation,” said Bob when asked about how customers have been responding to his restaurant. “We just want to maintain that momentum as our main goal is customer satisfaction.”
- Thursday, April 23rd at 5:30 pm.
- RSVP to [email protected]
- 240 Cook Street
Poke originates from Hawaii, fusing fresh diced fish with rice, veggies and an array of delicious toppings. Prepared with high-quality, rich-tasting and fresh ingredients. Poke Fresh chefs are knowledgeable about gluten free and ready to create a handcrafted bowl that will send your taste buds on a vacation to paradise … or at least Hawaii. Come on down to Cook Street and customize a bowl unique to you!
- Classic Bowl – Marinated Tuna, White Rice, Mixed Greens, Cucumber, Green Onion, Cilantro, Cherry Tomatoes, Masago, Ponzu Sauce, Creamy Wasabi Sauce, Sesame Seeds, Chili Flakes. Order without crab meat – contains wheat.
- Hawaiian Bowl – Tuna, White Rice Green Onion, Cucumber, Cherry Tomatoes, Purple Cabbage, Avocado, Ponzu Sauce, Sriracha Aioli, Sesame Seeds. Order without Wakame Seaweed – contains wheat.
- Victoria Bowl – Ahi Tuna, Brown Rice, Mixed Greens, Sweet Onion, Cherry Tomatoes, Cucumber, Sweet Corn, Julienne Carrots, Masago, Kale, Pineapple, Edamame, Gluten Free Tamari Sauce, Tahini-Miso, Sesame Seeds, Tortilla Chips.
- Veggie Fresh Bowl – Marinated Tofu, Mixed Greens, Kale, Cherry Tomatoes, Purple Cabbage, Julienne Carrots, Sweet Onion, Edamame, Avocado, Tahini-Miso Sauce, Ponzu Sauce, Dried Seaweed Flakes (Nori), Sesame Seeds. Order without Wakame Seaweed – contains wheat.
- Bonanza Bowl – Salmon, White Rice, Mixed Greens, Cherry Tomatoes, Cucumber, Kale, Sweet Corn, Masago, Edamame, Avocado, Sriracha Aioli, Creamy Wasabi, Shoyu Sauce, Tortilla Chips, Chili Flakes. Order without Wakame Seaweed – contains wheat.
- Broke Da Mouth – Sockeye Salmon, Brown Rice, Cucumber, Sweet Corn, Sweet Onion, Kale, Julienne Carrots, Pineapple, Edamame, Jalapeno, Mandarin Oranges, Sriracha Aioli, Tahini-Miso Sauce, Ponzu Sauce, Fried Onion, Dried Seaweed Flakes (Nori)
- Base – White Rice, Brown Rice, Mixed Greens
- Poke – Tuna, Marinated Tuna, Pink Salmon, Marinated Salmon, Marinated Tofu, Garlic Shrimp, Sockeye Salmon (extra $1.50), Yellowfin Ahi Tuna (extra $1.50.) Caution: Crab Meat contains wheat.
- Toppings – Red Onions, Julienne Carrots, Sweet Onion, Cucumber, Purple Cabbage, Edamame, Cherry Tomatoes, Red Radish, Jalapeno, Pineapple, Sweet Corn, Masago, Avocado (extra $1.50), Beetroot, Cilantro, Green Onion, Kale, Chickpeas, Mandarin Oranges, Pickled Ginger (Gari). Caution: Wakame Seaweed Salad contains wheat.
- Sauces – Shoyu, Ponzu, Sriracha Aioli, Gluten-Free Tamari, Tahini-Miso, Creamy Wasabi
- Garnish – Chili Flakes, Sesame Seeds, Dried Seaweed Flakes (Nori.) Caution: Tortilla Chips may contain wheat)
- Base – Acai Mixed Berry Blend
- Fruit – Bananas, Mandarin Oranges, Blueberries, Strawberries, Pineapple
- Nuts – Cashews, Almonds, Walnuts, Pecans
- Toppings – Coconut Flakes, Honey, Hemp Seeds Caution: granola may contain wheat)
- Juice – Apple, Orange, Hibiscus Peach, Hibiscus Mango, Lemon, Coconut Water
- Sparkling Water – Strawberry, Lime, Orange, Grapefruit
- Pop – Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, Ginger Ale, 7Up
- Poke Fresh prioritizes sourcing local and sustainable ingredients, even from as close as James Bay. All their fish is Ocean Wise, which means it’s a ‘good choice for keeping ocean life healthy and abundant for generations to come.
- PokeFresh is proud to be one of the green certified members of synergy. This means they are a business that keeps its waste pollution as low as possible.
- All their fish are caught through sustainable and ethical practices to help our oceans remain as healthy as possible.
- All take out containers are ‘backyard compost’ to-go containers (so they don’t need a compost bin/facility) and meet both industrial and home composting standards.
- Poke Fresh harvests many of the herbs they use from their own garden! Poke Fresh Farm to table.
- Surfrider is a community of everyday people who passionately protect our playground – the ocean, waves, and beaches that provide us so much enjoyment.
- Surfrider Vancouver Island is a dedicated chapter of the larger Surfrider organization – a collection of like-minded Vancouver Island coastal inhabitants focusing on ways of protecting and preserving it into the future.