The Art of Slow Food Cafe & Bakery Now Open at 780 Fisgard Street in Victoria!
Celiac-Friendly Sourdough • Breakfast, Lunch, Pizza & Baked Goods
- Tuesdays to Sundays – 10am to4pm
- Stone-baked sourdough pizza available after 11am
- Sourdough and all baking are always vegan
- Almost everything on the menu is already vegan or can be made so, courtesy of The Very Good Butchers, Nabati Coconut-Based Cheezes et al.
Owner, Kaitlin Chamberlin, uses local organic ingredients and traditional methods of food preparation to make unique, delicious creations that nourish your body. Using minimal equipment and prepping in small batches, Art of Slow offers colorful and delicious food that is local, sustainable and accessible.
You asked for it! The Art of Slow Food is now selling their raw, sourdough pizza dough. Each dough ball makes a 14″-16″ sized pizzas. Find them in the refrigerator or freezers sections of carrying retailers and markets.
About the Dough
- Made with spring water, psyllium husk, ground flax, sorghum flour, tapioca flour, natural levain (wild yeast) and sea salt
- Good for 21 days in the fridge, 3 months in the freezer
- Remove dough from fridge and let it reach room temperature
- Dough will be workable, easy to roll but a bit more sensitive to tearing than gluten dough
- Roll out with a dusting of gluten-free flour or between two pieces of parchment paper
- Crust can be par-baked for 3-5 minutes at 450˚F or for 7-10 minutes all dressed, until cheese browns
- Par-baked crusts can be frozen until needed.
This is extra-special gluten free bread: fresh baked, rustic, soft, chewy and easily digestible sourdough! Using natural wild levain and a base of psyllium husk, flax and water, the dough is fermented for 12-18 hours to allow phytic acid breakdown and real flavor development. The bread is then baked on a stone to create rustic loaves with appealing crust.
The Art of Slow Food does not use common gluten-free ingredients such as xanthan gum, agar agar, potato starch, rice flour or other high-starch ingredients. The bread is made with only 7 simple, organic ingredients, in order of predominance: Spring water, psyllium husk, ground flax, sorghum flour, tapioca flour, natural levain (wild yeast) and sea salt.
As a result of slow fermentation, the carbohydrates and starches in the bread are broken down, creating a light, soft digestible bread. The psyllium husk and ground flax act as a digestive aid and provide a soft, chewy texture without gluten or added starches.
Sourdough selection includes Toasted Sesame, Plain, Kalamata Olive, Rosemary Poppyseed and on occasion, Cranberry Walnut!
Their sauerkraut is made the traditional way – fermented for a minimum of 3 weeks in traditional German crocks and never pasteurized. Enjoy a number of varieties that are versatile and go well with any meal – sandwiches, salads, stir fries, soups, eggs or sausages. Sauerkraut is a highly probiotic food, and is best used to accompany meals to aid in digestion.
Sauerkraut selection includes Dilly Kraut, Cortido Kraut and Chimichurri Kraut.
About the Baker / Fermentor / Creator
Kaitlin is a whole foods chef and baker and has been fermenting for 7 years. She works exclusively with artisan-style traditional foods, using local and organic ingredients to create simple, accessible nourishment. She strives to teach sustainability and self-sufficiency through the art of slow food. Kaitlin has extensive experience working with dietary restrictions and nutritional deficiencies and will work with any specifications by request.
Classes when available! Learn the ancient tradition of preserving foods and maximizing nutrition with simple tools and local foods. Bring your own jar and take home a ferment. Learn more here.
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.
Gluten Free Restaurants and Stores
- Everyday Gluten Free Gourmet Prepares for Pumpkin Season!September 25, 2023 - 9:56 am
- No-Biopsy Approach to Celiac Disease Diagnosis in Adults Gaining MomentumSeptember 20, 2023 - 4:49 pm
- ‘A Canadian Celiac Podcast’ Interviews Gluten Free Fest Celebs!September 20, 2023 - 11:57 am
- Who Knew! Straws Made of Hay!September 18, 2023 - 8:00 pm
- Alkeme Artisan Bakery – Specializing in Gluten-Free SourdoughSeptember 18, 2023 - 9:00 am
all-day 10% Off CHURROS & MOR Gluten-Fre... @ Cook Street Food Court
10% Off CHURROS & MOR Gluten-Fre... @ Cook Street Food Court
Sep 26 all-day
CHURROS & MOR 100% Gluten-Free, Vegan Food Truck • 313 – 325 Cook Street Village Food Court. Between Mercedes Lane and Hot & Cold Cafe See map • Open Mon-Thurs 10am to 8pm. Fri-Sat-Sun 10am[...]
all-day 10% Senior Discount – Tuesdays &... @ Pepper's Foods
10% Senior Discount – Tuesdays &... @ Pepper's Foods
Sep 26 all-day
Seniors enjoy 10% off – Tuesdays & Wednesdays Some restrictions apply. No discount on sale items. Click Here for Pepper’s Foods ONLINE STORE Gluten-Free Products ONLINE! A bustling market just steps away from the University[...]
all-day 10% Student Discount Every Day @ Pepper's Foods
10% Student Discount Every Day @ Pepper's Foods
Sep 26 all-day
University & College Students – enjoy 10% off EVERY DAY with provision of student ID card. Some restrictions apply. No discount on sale items. Click Here for Pepper’s Foods ONLINE STORE Gluten-Free Products ONLINE! A[...]
all-day Embrace Your Epicure Discount Code
Embrace Your Epicure Discount Code
Sep 26 all-day
Epicure is offering the gluten-free community its own discount code. Use ‘CELIACSCENE’ at check out through to 11:59pm on September 4, 2023. Code changes to ‘THESCENE’ at 00:01 on September 5, 2023* CREATE AN ACCOUNT[...]
all-day Mizu Real Fruit Ice Cream Food T... @ Various Locations
Mizu Real Fruit Ice Cream Food T... @ Various Locations
Sep 26 all-day
This Week’s Schedule! Sunday, September 24 – Departure Bay! Often at Nanaimo’s Departure Bay Beach but please confirm at Mizu’s Facebook Page or Instagram Account for daily locations and times! A taste of New Zealand[...]