Victoria’s Gluten-Free Foodies enjoyed an evening of delicious Vietnamese soups, spring rolls and special orders of Lemon Prawn Bowls at Le Pho Homestyle Vietnamese Cuisine this past weekend. The food was delicious but pure perfection was the Thai Peanut Sauce that Lynda brought along, in place of Le Phô’s gluten-flour thickened peanut sauce. By popular demand, Lynda has provided us with Nathan Hyam’s adapted recipe below, excerpted from New Thai Cuisine! Thank you, Lynda!
Creamy Peanut Sauce (Cooked) – adapted from New Thai Cuisine by Nathan Hyam
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup onion, finely diced
- 1 ½ tsp garlic, finely diced1 ½ tsp fresh ginger, finely minced
- ¾ cup coconut milk (can use light)
- 1 tsp Thai red curry paste (or hot chili sauce or sambal oelek)
- 1 ½ Tbsp coconut or brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp Thai fish sauce
- ½ cup peanut butter, crunchy or smooth
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro, optional
- Place oil in saucepan over medium heat and sauté onion, garlic and ginger till soft.
- Add coconut milk, curry paste, sugar and fish sauce. Simmer on medium till heated.
- Turn off heat and whisk in peanut butter until melted (do not let peanut butter reach boiling because it will separate).
- If you have a hand blender, blend the mixture, otherwise, it is good as it is.
- Stir in cilantro.
Makes about 1 ½ to 2 cups.
More about Le Phô!
This bright, beautifully re-decorated space has gained popularity among professionals in the area at lunchtime and in the evenings, is a warm and welcoming haven for the home bound as well as the gluten-free from all over Victoria.
Authentic ‘always gluten-free’ soups begin with richly seasoned beef broth ladled over bank pho (rice noodles), then your choice of rare sliced beef, beef meat balls, chicken or tofu and fresh bean sprouts and basil. See Phở – Authentic Vietnamese Noodle Soup or see image attached.
The Goi Cuon – Jumbo Tiger Prawn – Spring rolls – are also gluten free but be sure to request the fish sauce instead of the flour thickened peanut sauce. With 24 hours notice, Chef Colin can also create a special, gluten-free Lemon Grass Prawn Rice Vermicelli Prawn Bowl. You must order ahead.
Questions or special dietary concerns, please call 250 590 0035. Open 7 days: 11:00am – 2:00pm and 5:00pm – 9:00pm