- 6.3 ounces (12 1/2 Tbsp) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup (90g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 + 1/8 (2g) tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cup + 3 Tbsp (270g) Cup4Cup flour
- Sugar Cookie Frosting:
- 1 cup (120g) confectioner’s sugar
- 2 tsp (13.7g) light corn syrup
- Assorted food colouring
- 2 tsp (10g) milk or water
- 1/4 tsp (1.3g) almond extract
INSTRUCTIONS for Sugar Cookies:
- Place butter in the bowl of a stand-mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Turn to medium-low speed and cream until smooth. Add the sugar and salt, mix on medium low for about 2 minutes until fluffy. Scrape down sides and bottom of bowl. Add vanilla extract and mix on low speed for about 30 seconds to distributed evenly.
- Add the flour in 2 additions, mixing on low speed for 15 to 30 seconds after each, or until just combined. Scrape the bottom of the bowl to incorporate any flour that may have settled there.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and separate into two rounds.
- Position racks in oven and preheat to 325F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Using a rolling pin, roll the dough to 1/4” thick on a well-floured surface. Use decorative cutters to cut out the cookies and place on sheet pans, leaving space between them.
- Bake until pale golden brown, about 10-15 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through baking. Take note that the baking time will vary depending on the size and shapes used. Set pans on cooling rack for 5-10 minutes and then transfer cookies to a cooling rack and cool completely.
INSTRUCTIONS for Sugar Cookie Icing:
- Stir sugar and milk together until smooth.
- Beat in corn syrup and almond extract until icing is smooth and glossy. If the icing is too thick, add more corn syrup.
- Divide into separate bowls and add desired food colourings.
Wild Poppy Bistro & Bakery
A must-visit destination for anyone who loves fabulous baking – full stop!
(Closed Sundays, Mondays & Stat Holidays)
Wild Poppy serves savoury breakfasts and light lunches with soup, baguettes and everything you could ask for in a deli – all from documented to be gluten-free, peanut-free ingredients. Nut-free and vegan options available.
Find Wild Poppy just one quick block off the Trans Canada Highway 1 in Ladysmith – turn left at the Buller Street lights. Click here for map.
Hours: Tues-Fri 8-5 Sat 8-4 Closed Sundays, Mondays & Stat Holidays • 250-924-8696
Testimonial: “We had Madeline’s cousin visiting from Halifax for a couple weeks. When we toured them up to Chemainus/Ladysmith all eight of us (one celiac) enjoyed a delicious meal at Wild Poppy. We had to have take out as the restaurant was full. Wonderful to see.”
Wild Poppy Bistro & Bakery
As co-owners of the Old Town (Wheat) Bakery at 510 1st Avenue in Ladysmith, Vancouver Island, Kate Cram and husband Geoff could easily be considered local celebrities! As an ‘Associate with the Culinary Institute of America‘ who also undertook to certify as a Red Seal Baker in Canada, Kate is truly baker’s baker!
Two children later, Kate and Geoff’s young sons began to experience persistent health issues that had them resorting to a gluten-free diet in search of relief. The improvement was nothing short of remarkable and a heads up to Kate that gluten may be taking a toll on her own health. The couple found themselves at a professional and personal cross roads with Kate contemplating the end of a career she loved, and their children unable to set foot within the family business.
That’s how Wild Poppy Bakery and Bistro was born!