Resident Raw Foodie,’ Afke Zonderland shares how easy it is to live a whole-food philosophy and make the healthiest choices for yourself and your family. Her strategies and recipes are sure to provide you with plenty of food for thought. A shining star within the gluten-free and health conscious community in British Columbia and beyond, Afke is a Raw Food Chef and CEO of Okanagan Rawsome.
Early spring heralds the arrival of mosquitos. Pesky little insects in our parts of the globe and downright deadly in others. The Zika virus spread by mosquito stings being the latest menace to human health.
Whether you are hiking or biking in the mountains or sitting on your deck in late afternoon there is much we can do to safely protect ourselves from their bites and resulting itch.
- Your first line of defense is to keep barrels, buckets or old tires out of the yard that will hold enough water to allow larva to hatch.
- Next; you can pick up a bottle of garlic oil at Home Hardware and spray the bushes or fence that surround your home and barn.
- Your skin: there is absolutely no need to be spraying or rubbing chemical insecticides on our skin when so many non-toxic alternatives are available. I remember a daycare in Montana lining up the little tykes, including our granddaughter, for a dose of Deet and sunscreen before daily outdoor playtimes.
How much do we need to protect ourselves from the ultraviolet rays of the sun and how much direct sun is needed to provide us with a healthy dose of Vitamin D. The debate rages on whether the sun that makes this earth go round is now becoming a dangerous giver of life on this planet as we know it.
One can read the most exact science reports on the dangers only to find that the article was sponsored (i.e“paid for”) by a sunscreen company or one that sells Vitamin D supplements. The chemical ingredients in many sunblock or sun screen lotions and sprays that must be avoided are: oxybenzone, retinyl palmitate, parabens and phthalates.
For those with a skin sensitivity to wheat, or who want to avoid hand to mouth transfer of lotions containing gluten, be sure to check ingredient labels for hydrolyzed wheat protein.
Look for sunscreens that have the blue seal of approval from the Skin Cancer Foundation. Some popular brands are “Green Beaver” and Baby Pibu. The ingredient lists of these brands read more like a mixture of essential oils, food extracts, vitamins and zinc oxide.
Spend time outdoors in the sun every day but do so with some common sense precautions. Keep hydrated and eat fresh raw, unprocessed foods that deliver an abundance of anti-oxidants.
- 10 drops lavender
- 1 tbsp pomegranate oil
- 3/4 C coconut oil
- 2 tbsp Zinc Oxide
- 2 tbsp shea butter
- Glass Jar
- Combine all ingredients except zinc oxide in a jar.
- Place a saucepan with 2 inches of water on stove over medium/low heat.
- Place jar in saucepan and stir contents until ingredients start to melt.
- Once all ingredients are combined, add in zinc oxide and stir well. Store in a cool place.
Homemade Bug Spray
- 1/2 cup witch hazel
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 40 drops essential oils (eucalyptus, lemongrass, citronella, tea tree, or rosemary)
- Glass spray bottle
- Mix all ingredients in 8oz spray bottle
- Spray over all portions of the body but avoid repellent in eyes and mouth
Also by Afke:
- Resident Rawfoodie Reveals Healthiest Fruits and Vegetables
- Fuel Injection – How whole Foods Balance Blood Sugar
- Wheat Grass and Wild Edibles*
- Turmeric Goes Mainstream from Facemasks to Yummy Curry
- Dealing with the Dirtiest Place in Your Body in the Cleanest Way Possible
- Essential Oils – Your Allergy Support Team
- Essential Oils – Celiac-Friendly Natural Resource
- The Edible Front Yard – Mow Less, Eat Better, Save Money!
- Looking for Natural Relief from Allergies?
- Confused about Omegas?
- The Skinny on Fat
- Planting Gluten-Free Seeds for Your New Year’s Resolutions
- Almond Milk – Is it Everything It’s Cracked Up to Be?
- Is Kombucha Making a Comeback?
- View Afke’s Recipe Page
Okanagan Rawsome’s mission is to awaken your taste buds with our delicious RAW, SPROUTED, GLUTEN-FREE, VEGAN Crisps! Our nutrient-dense Crisps are a source of pure plant energy. These living whole food snacks are low-glycemic, promote weight-loss, reduce inflammation and are loaded with organic ingredients and local produce (Click here to meet our farmers!). It’s real food to nourish your body and soul made with carefully sourced spices, sprouted seeds, nuts and fruit. These portable power-packed crisps come in four flavors! Great gluten-free fuel for the health conscious, celiacs and athletes alike!
Afke Zonderland is the innovative chef behind Okanagan Rawsome. She regularly hosts raw food workshops across Western Canada, promoting a plant-passionate lifestyle, while sharing tasty recipes that will win over your taste buds! Read more here…
- Purchase Okanagan Rawsome in Victoria and across Vancouver Island.
- NEW! Purchase Okanagan Rawsome online and save! Free shipping within Canada for orders over $80. Free Shipping in the US for orders over $160.
- Okanagan Rawsome is a proud Sponsor of the Canadian Celiac Association’s Classes for the Newly Diagnosed. Details here!