Resident Raw Foodie,’ Afke Zonderland shares how easy it is to live a whole-food philosophy and make the healthiest choices for yourself and your family. Her strategies and recipes are sure to provide you with plenty of food for thought. A shining star within the gluten-free and health conscious community in British Columbia and beyond, Afke is a Raw Food Chef and CEO of Okanagan Rawsome.
Fuel Injection – How Whole Foods Balance Blood Sugar and Insulin
Just as your car needs both oil and gasoline to give you a smooth ride, so does your body need the right amount of sugar and insulin for top performance and consistent mental acuity.
Blood sugar is the accelerator; insulin is your brake. Without a steady supply of blood sugar, your brain could not think, your heart could not beat and your feet could not walk. However, too much of a good thing, like a high speed car chase, will put many body parts at great risk.
Trouble comes our way when we fill up on pasta, processed food, bread, pop and fruit juices. It’s like filling up the tank and pouring gasoline all over the engine, the paint and the upholstery. Would you drive your vehicle like that? Invite Mr. Caffeine and Ms. Nicotine along for the ride and you have the match that may well blow your top.
Fortunately, we have a built in fire extinguisher. Our pancreas is always on the lookout for irresponsible fueling practices and manufactures the life saving hormone; Insulin. When your pancreas is tired and worn out from its continual firefighting you will develop type 2 diabetes. But don’t shrug off diabetes simply because it is treatable!
Instead of moving next door to a fire hall to pick up a daily dose of insulin, take control by fueling up on foods that give your pancreas a rest and allow it to recuperate.
- Fuel up on high fiber, enzymatically alive, whole foods
- Eat three nutritious meals a day
- Eat moderate amounts of fresh fruits
- Be active, take a brisk walk at least 20 minutes twice a day, plant your garden, go to the gym
- Drink 2 liters of water a day to protect your eyesight and your kidneys
Restorative Bean Salad*
- one cup green beans, blanched or raw
- one cup red kidney beans, soaked and cooked
- one cup garbanzo beans, soaked and cooked
- one large red onion, sliced thinly
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar or lemon juice
- 3 TBSP flaxseed oil
- 1 TBSP honey (choose raw, if not serving to children <12 months)
*great for kidney support
Also by Afke:
- Wheat Grass and Wild Edibles
- Turmeric Goes Mainstream from Facemasks to Yummy Curry
- Dealing with the Dirtiest Place in Your Body in the Cleanest Way Possible
- Essential Oils – Your Allergy Support Team
- Essential Oils – Celiac-Friendly Natural Resource
- The Edible Front Yard – Mow Less, Eat Better, Save Money!
- Looking for Natural Relief from Allergies?
- Confused about Omegas?
- The Skinny on Fat
- Planting Gluten-Free Seeds for Your New Year’s Resolutions
- Almond Milk – Is it Everything It’s Cracked Up to Be?
- Is Kombucha Making a Comeback?
- View Afke’s Recipe Page
Afke Zonderland and Co-Founder/daughter Anna, have turned Okanagan apples and carrots into a made-in-BC success story. They’ve mastered mixing what farmer’s grow in the Interior with carefully sourced spices and sprouted seeds, nuts and fruit. The tincture of time + low temperature results in convenient, portable power-packed crisps in four flavors! Great gluten-free fuel for the health conscious, celiacs and athletes alike! Watch the video!
- Purchase Okanagan Rawsome in Victoria and across Vancouver Island.
- NEW! Purchase Okanagan Rawsome online and save! Free shipping within Canada for orders over $80. Free Shipping in the US for orders over $160.
- Okanagan Rawsome is a proud Sponsor of the Canadian Celiac Association’s Classes for the Newly Diagnosed. Details here!